Pricing for 2015 Liberty HR Gold announced...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by -jeffB, Jul 14, 2015.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

imrich likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Its great its high relief, I like the eagle reverse, but the obverse is simply subpar artistically. I would also guess it would be lower on the aftermarket than higher.

I am sad to say this, too. I wish they could have had an artistically pleasing design in high relief. I would have loved to have lined up to buy this. Btw, if they are experimenting with producing high relief coins again, why not start out on something most could afford to buy like a high relief silver coin? Imagine that eagle on an ASE in high relief? That is something worth buying.

Tater and Alegandron like this.
  4. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I really would not mind owning this... but don't know if I can pull the trigger. People on the mint facebook page are mad it is not one per customer... but I just can't see a sellout that fast

5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I don't think that it'll be an early sellout either. I don't like the coin (although the actual coin might be better than the armadillo on the reverse :joyful:) but many might. Young collectors may have a problem coming up with the $. If I thought that a flip would get me something, perhaps I would, but I don't see it. Time will tell.....

Alegandron likes this.
  6. I finally figure out who the obverse looks like...actress Laura Prepon:

image.jpg

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

in one year, it'll be 5% over melt.

Like the JFK

8. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

You'll be lucky to get 5% over melt. I'd buy a MS64 Saint instead.

dwhiz likes this.
  9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

10. -jeffB

Full Union. But it bugs me to consider that name for a one-ounce gold piece, even if it does have a $100 face value.

medjoy likes this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I am frustrated that the Armadillo and the 'Possum are such underrated creatures! They should be featured on a series of Gold 1/4toz! :) Where is SteveX?

sgt23 and stevex6 like this.
  12. fretboard

So really a true "Union" should weigh 2.5 ounces. Maybe in the US Mint's mind this all balances out somehow due to inflation. It will be interesting to see how the sales go. tmoney.gif

"Famed designer George T. Morgan thought of an early possible design for a $100 full Union coin, should the Half-Union ever be a success. When the mint found the design of a 2.5 ounce solid gold coin completely infeasible, the idea of a complete Union was discarded altogether and was forgotten about, often only thought of as a possibility."

13. -jeffB

I think it was the Half-Union that was 2.5 ounces (since a double eagle was about an ounce); the full Union would have been 5 ounces.

14. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

IMO, this entire coin is simply pandering to the wealthiest of collectors and 5 will get you 10 that the slabbing companies will totally ruin the aftermarket for these coins.
    I cannot even begin to imagine all the various slab labels that will surround this half baked idea.

$400 over spot is just ridiculous and even if I had $1500 to piss away, I wouldn't buy one of these because it would probably cost me $400 just to keep it for 10 years.

green18, Tater and dwhiz like this.
  15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Well, that seals it. I'm definitely not buying this one. I'd rather sink the money into a 2009 UHR, if I were going to get an expensive gold coin.

16. fretboard

Absolutely right! So now a "Union" would have to be a gold puck, like a 5 ouncer puck of gold, dang!! I wonder how many collectors would buy something that size? Just sayin'

17. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would. I like the reverse design, I like the fact it's high relief. A true union with an obverse as pretty as the reverse, and I would be interested. But a pedestrian if not hideous obverse design coupled with a weird denomination, and it's not worth a $400 premium to me.

18. fretboard

Didn't place her, edited I guess the US Mint is trying to grab new sources to get money from. laughhard.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  19. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Yep, that's what I'm thinking....DOA

20. buzzard

buzzard Active Member

I was on the fence on this one but 400 over spot no way, to many other coins I want

21. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Draft saved Draft deleted