Presentation - Czechloslovakian Banknote Design by Alphones Mucha

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by ikandiggit, Mar 28, 2010.

1. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

[​IMG]

Alphonse Maria Mucha was born in the town of Ivančice, Moravia (today's Czech Republic). Drawing had been his first love since childhood and he worked at decorative painting jobs in Moravia, mostly painting theatrical scenery.

[​IMG]

When Mucha moved to Paris in 1887, he was a student at Académie Julian and Académie Colarossi. His income came from producing magazine and advertising illustrations and from this source he produced a poster that became an overnight sensation. Art Nouveau was born.

[​IMG]

Mucha's images were comprised of beautiful, robust young women in flowing vaguely Neoclassical looking robes, often surrounded by lush flowers which sometimes formed haloes behind the women's heads. In contrast with contemporary poster makers he used pale pastel colors. During the 1900 Universal Exhibition in Paris the "Mucha style" spread throughout the world.

[​IMG]

He also created paintings, posters, advertisements, and book illustrations, as well as designs for jewellery, carpets, wallpaper, and theatre sets.

After Czechloslovaki won its independence after World War I, Mucha designed the new postage stamps, banknotes, and other government documents for the new state. For the models for the banknotes, Mucha used his wife, Maruška,and daughter, Jaroslava.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because there wasn't a proper printing machine in the country the first Czechoslovak banknotes in 1919 were printed in America, before they brought the printer here in the 1920s.

The 1920's and 1930's banknote created by Mucha were some of the most beautifully designed notes in the world and influenced banknote design in several countries.

[​IMG]

Mucha was among the first persons to be arrested by the Gestapo in 1939.
    He developed pneumonia and even after his release he never fully recovered. He died on July 14, 1939 of a lung infection.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

4. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

A superb presentation full of wonderful notes and facts.
    I enjoyed this very much and appreciate the time you put into it as well.

Job well done! :high5: :high5: :) :)

RickieB

5. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I've been looking forward to this presentation ever since you posted the topic. Nice writeup, and I like the variety of other collateral images you've included too. Absolutely Mucha's artwork is probably one of the most recognizable styles, and as you say "...Art Nouveau was born".

Thanks very much!
    Dave

6. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

[​IMG]

After reading this for the 3rd time.. I really like it alot... it deserves a little [​IMG]

back to the top.

RickieB

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ikandiggit.....I can dig it:D. Thanks for posting and I really enjoyed what I read and perused. :)

8. ikandiggit

Thanks!

Just wanted to add a personal story that happened about 15 years ago. I was an antiques (junk) dealer and I had purchased a pile of old books from a garage sale. Inside one of the books was about 20 old foreign bills. One of the bills was the 20 Korun. I really liked the design on it so I framed it. One of the local artists came in and told me that Alphonse Mucha was the designer of the bill. I labelled it as such and it sold for $25.00. As soon as it left the shop, I regretted selling it. Now, fast forward to present day, I still think of that bill and consider it one of the factors that helped me appreciate the artwork on paper money and made me a paper money collector.

9. krispy

krispy krispy

Completely missed this one go up the other day!

This presentation was brilliant and those notes are gorgeous. Very well written and illustrated.

10. krispy

krispy krispy

That is every bit a part of the presentation for me! Your personal connection, passion and drive. Thanks for sharing this important detail.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Consider as something like love lost. You had it for awhile, and then it vanished....but it will always remain in your heart. :)

12. krispy

krispy krispy

IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THEM FREE -- Sting

13. Art

Art Numismatist?

Terrific presentation. The notes and artwork are beautiful. Having the background information makes collecting far more interesting. Thanks for a great job. :thumb:

14. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

ikandiggit

Finally got to reading this after returning from my trip. Really nice presentation and love the different pictures you included! I would bet the $25 covered the cost of everything you bought so in a way the one note was a great added investment.

Thank you for sharing with the other members at coin talk. I appreciate the hard work that goes into putting one together that you can be happy about! It is really a nice piece!

Best Regards ~ Darryl

15. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Yep great presentation...
    Thanks

16. ikandiggit

My thanks to everyone.

It's extremely rewarding to be part of a forum where each member openly shares their knowledge and experiences. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the other presentations and look forward to the upcoming ones. To partake in this project was just a small contribution on my part to hopefully evoke more interest in paper money collecting.

I'm glad I took part in it and may consider doing another one in the future.

17. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Mucha's work epitomizes the Art Nouveau era. His art postcards from the period are worth hundreds. Great presentation!

18. connor1

connor1 Collector

Beautiful notes & a fantastic Presentation,congrats !

19. ReedSTL

ReedSTL Junior Member

These are awesome! Great presentation. I'm going to do some more research on this guy. Love the artwork.

20. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

Hello everyone,

I am not a world or local paper money collector. However i love the presentations that are put together.

This one was amazing. Very well done!

Regards,
    Stan

21. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Draft saved Draft deleted