Post your Subway Tokens

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mrbrklyn, Nov 1, 2008.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

When the mint tried to make a golden dollar those of us in NYC were kinda puzzled as to why this is so hard. We had a universally accepted golden dollar coin for years which never looked like a quater...and here is it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

I have a token like that, except its for Boston. :)

4. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Well since i was a native Newyorker here is one from 1960. I use to travel the subways alot in those days as a kid i use to keep a couple of them and here it is/ i moved out of the rate race in 85 now i'm in the wonderful country with the deers Thank God

Jazzcoins Joe:D

Attached Files:

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Is that the small sized one about dime size? We had those in the 70's, larger size, I believe it was a 75cent fare at the time

Anyway, here is another

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These were the Bullet tokens made when the fare went up and then NJ spitefully made a replica of the coin for the Garden State Parkway for 45 cents

[​IMG]

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

7. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...25750C0A9659C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=print

The New York City subway token, tool and talisman of city life since Vincent R. Impellitteri was mayor, is dead at age 50, transit officials said yesterday.

The causes of death were technology and economics.

Tokens will be sold for the last time on Saturday, April 12, said Lawrence G. Reuter, president of New York City Transit. After 12:01 a.m. on Sunday, May 4 -- the moment at which fares will rise, with the price of a single trip jumping to $2 from $1.50 -- any token plinked into a turnstile will be spit back out. Bus fareboxes will still accept the token -- along with 50 cents cash, thank you -- through the end of the year.
    edited - copyright

That was a fair use segment of the full article, not the full article...

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Great thread. I learn something here every day.
    I was in NY a week or so ago and got to thinking about the tokens.
    It's cool to see a thread pop up on the topic.

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Your welcome - Here is another token I have

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. cherylkubucko

cherylkubucko Grandma Froggie

I have one.

Attached Files:

12. cherylkubucko

International Railway Token

Attached Files:

13. DJP7x0s

DJP7x0s Sometimes Coins Arouse Me

Not a Subway token, but I dont think my Bridge Token will get shunned away. So heres my Mt Hope Bridge Token. I have atleast a roll of these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

That is a cool token. What is the Internation Railway?

Ruben

16. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

That is a nice Bullet!

I have this Bullet

http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/coins/tokens/token_bullet_1a_small.png
    http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/coins/tokens/token_bullet_1b_small.png
    http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/coins/tokens/token_bullet_1c_small.png

and this one

and this is one of my Pent's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the nicer ones I got. The funny thing is that Times article made it sound like we didn't care that the MTA got rid of the tokens, when in reality, the Metrocard just sucks. It is slow, and stupid and it makes the turnstiles so slow that Grand Central Station had to be sput in half between incoming and out going turnstiles. When they first started I remember people flipping over the turnstile because it hesitates before registering a swipe. It was pretty funny and pretty sad.

Ruben

17. DJP7x0s

DJP7x0s Sometimes Coins Arouse Me

Mt Hope Bridge is in Bristol, RI.

Ruben, if you would like one, send me your address in a PM, I do have a bunch of these, and Ill have to take a trip to the post office in a few days anyhow.

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

That would be great. No need for PM though. My address is a matter of public record

1163 East 15th Street
    Brooklyn, NY 11230

Google it ;)

Ruben

19. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

What year is this from. I swear it is just like a Subway token. The funny thing is that the Mint took 2 years to come up with the golden dollar, which really sucked when Toekens were already being used in the city of commerce like money because they were so easily redeemable.

In fact, everything they want to accomplish with the dollar coins was in fact in place and accepted with the subway token.

They should have just adopted the token.

Ruben

20. cherylkubucko

21. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I have one of the same type around here someplace. My father had Jets season tickets in the late 60s and we used to go to the games by driving in from New Jersey, parking at Port Authority and taking the Blue line to Flushing directly to Shea. It was a pretty good ride for $0.20.

Draft saved Draft deleted