Post your numismatic present !

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collect89, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

What did you get for Christmas or Chanukah or Kwanza this year? Please tell us so we can all enjoy it & definitely post a photo if you can.

I received the new Cherrypickers volume 1 from my brother in-law. I also bought myself a little present on Teletrade’s December 24 auction. What did you get?

Very best regards,
    Collect89

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I generally get nothing related to coins or coin collecting as a gift from friends or relatives. None of them understand coins or the hobby of coin collecting and have no clue what to get me. To be honest, if some of them did buy me a coin for my collection it would probably be a colorized coin or some other monstrosity so it is just as well that they don't.

4. jetsetter

jetsetter Junior Member

[​IMG]

A little something for myself. The seller found this in an old house and sold it sold for about half the price of similar sets. If any of you are wondering, it is a set of coins from Rhodesia. Six are of the last years and one is of the first year of the country.

5. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

Back a few years ago I did something really special for one of my neighbor's son. His dad found out from my wife I was Collecting American Silver Eagles. He bought one I presume from ebay. His son gave me the coin for Christmas and the card told me how he shined it to make it even shinier that it was. I still have the coin. It is so shiny I use it for a night light, it glows. I never had the heart to tell him or his dad how he had ruined the coin. But you are right, if friends and relatives are not collectors it is better for them to avoid. The other night if they were telling the truth HSN sold 2500 gold plated state quarters sets in 2 hours. I wonder how many non-collectors are getting gold plated state quarters this year for Christmas. I did get a Buffalo Nickel 1917 (D or S, I'm not where I can look) for Christmas from my wife. She was gracious enough to allow me to pick it out.

6. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

7. skrilla

skrilla That Guy

My wife's sister couldn't figure out what to get me for Christmas, luckily my wife knew...... She told her to go to the bank and get me rolls of cents!

8. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Some chocolate gold, that's all. Lol.

Despite numerous mentions of vcoins giftcards, still no dice.

9. snaz

snaz Registry fever

I got a fireproof safe! Sorry pics would be a bad idea in this situation!
    But I'm super happy!

10. sketcherpbr

sketcherpbr Enthusiast

That's my situation EXACTLY.

11. skrilla

skrilla That Guy

Awww you didn't like your new Obamashington gold dollar?:goofer:

12. Jonathon

Jonathon New Member

I got a 2008 American Silver Eagle and the 2008 Proof Set from my grandpa :D

13. Brennn10

Brennn10 Coins =

I got an 1833 Matron Head Large Cent, along with the 1999 Red Book and a 2002 guide to United States coins.

14. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

That was on my short list but Santa could not find it locally in time so I will order it tomorrow with the borders card I received :)

I did get this though:

[​IMG]

This will hopefully be very handy this year! :) Books are such a great gift!!!

BTW: I would include the digital camera as a numismatic present as I use it for this hobby as much as anything else.

15. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

They threatened to get me that. Thankfully they didn't!

16. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I got way more than I expected.
    I requested and recieved an album for Mercury Dimes and the book "Collecting & Investing Stratagies For Walking Liberty Half Dollars".
    I also got a 2008 silver proof set, a 2009 Redbook, a 1922-D Peace Dollar, a box containing several dozen foreign coins and a 2008 unc silver eagle. Oh and I also recieved some 2x2's that I asked for and some chocolates in gold coin wrappers, lol.
    I also got $150 and it was suggested that I use that on coins. But I really need money for other things, so I think I'll only spend 50 of it on a coin or coins.
    Mom and Dad really went all out this year. I don't know why, but of course I really appreciate it. I got a few non-coin things too.

17. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Well, I got the Obama coin as a gag gift. :rolleyes: First thing I got today. Sadly it's on back order and I wasn't laughing.

Then I got Numismatic Photography by Mark Goodman. Then I got my grandfather's old metal detector. Then I got a new Bounty Hunter 505 detector. And I purchased a beautifully toned Morgan last night.

18. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

I got.. umm.. I actually got a couple of Scott Travers books from Mom :)

But not for Christmas....

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

My girls got me a couple o' interesting items....

Attached Files:

20. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Santa (with a bit of help from me) got me ...

TA DA!!!

The Flying Eagle & Indian Cent Attribution Guide/2nd Edition by Richard E. Snow.
    It's the one with all 3 volumes and the 1900-1909 addition.
    And they are ALL autographed.
    I wonder how long it's going to take me to do the attributions on all 6 of my IHCs and my one FE.
    Okay, so far I'm not a big IHC collector, but what's the rule?
    "Buy the book first."

21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

My mom got me this :)

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted