Possible Star note Error

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by todd9506, May 21, 2008.

1. todd9506

todd9506 New Member

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, but have been collecting coins for years now. I manage a local fast food restraunt, and have recently started pulling all the start notes that come through. I pulled one the other day that was kinda odd. As you know, the stars on star notes are 'hollow.' This note I found was a nice and crisp 2003A series $1 with one star that was hollow and one that was solid.

What I need to know is is this an error? I haven't seen it on any other star that I have come across. If it is an error, how will that effect it's value. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'd post a pic, but I'm browsing at work right now and the note is at home...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

first .. welcome to the forum :)

second, it would work better if you could post a scan of the note. My first thought is someone filled in the star with some ink. It could be some kind of over inking issue, but that should affect more then the fill of the star.

4. todd9506

todd9506 New Member

Thanks for the welcome.

My first thought was that someone had filled in he star as well, but under magnification, I could see no difference between ink on the outside of the star and the inside. No strokes, no color variance, nothing. If it was a fill, they did a good job of it. I'm thinking that it may be a very slight over-inking, but who knows. I will try to post a pic this evening when I get home.

5. todd9506

todd9506 New Member

Okay, Finally got to scan the bill in question. Here are the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope these scans help.

Alos, I just noticed that it's a series 2003 not 2003A...not that it really matters...

Let me know what you think about it.

Thanks again

6. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

You need a higher quality scan on the closeup, but I'm guessing it's a very minor over-inking. Don't know if it would carry any premium.

7. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

I'm in agreement with Gatzdon. Minor overinking. Probably no real premium.

8. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

i will have to throw in the 3rd over-inked vote. Take a real close look at the 'points' of the star with a loupe. If the star is over inked, it should in no way be uniform. By this i mean, the corners should show some sort of rounding or in some other way the outer boundary of the star should look different to the non-filled one.

As gatzdon mentioned, a higher resolution scan would help. 300 or 600 dpi or so lol With that type of resolution, we can click on it and really zoom in.

Draft saved Draft deleted