possible counterfeit Morgan?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by pete1970, Aug 15, 2009.

1. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Definitely looks like one to me.

4. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

I know it is hard to tell from photos,but the color looks off.It is a dull gray.and the surface looks off.

5. tauferners

tauferners On a quest for knowledge

I there something in particular to look for to spot fakes? I realize it is harder to spot w/o coin in hand but any advice would be helpful. I am very hesistant to buy expensive coins off ebay just for this reason. I am buying junk silver but that too has to come w/ risk.

6. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Very true, the entire coin looks very frosty to me which it shouldn't. Also there is the lack of detail in the high points, and in the lower hair in liberty, but almost no signs of wear or any hits. In many cases with these forgeries the dies and machines they use aren't capable of striking the high points and fine details. So the coin has almost no marks but is missing much of the fine details, especially in the high points.

7. tauferners

ok.....so, any info to the opposite. Like if a coin shows signs of obvious wear but has bright luster? I would think it would be difficult and time consuming to fake a coin and somehow rub it down to show wear w/o obvious signs of arbrasive scratching.

8. raider34

raider34 Active Member

If a coin has obvious signs of wear, lets say XF or VF details, and it's still nice and shiny it's probably been polished. AU coins on the other hand, can have some wear and still have luster.

9. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

Warning enough for me...'No Returns Accepted'.

10. tauferners

So with signs of wear the thought would be more towards a cleaned coin rather than a fake?

11. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Plus this is his eBay avatar :whistle:.

Attached Files:

12. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Not really sure what you're asking. Signs of of wear definitely don't always mean the coin has been cleaned.Every coin is different but, one thing to look for with harshly cleaned coins are hairlines. A dullness, or lack of luster on a MS coin can be an indicator of over dipping.

13. GoldCoinLover

GoldCoinLover Senior Member

It looks fake. Loss of detail, fatty stars/devices, and the uneven denticals are a dead giveaway.

14. tauferners

"Not really sure what you're asking. Signs of of wear definitely don't always mean the coin has been cleaned.Every coin is different but, one thing to look for with harshly cleaned coins are hairlines. A dullness, or lack of luster on a MS coin can be an indicator of over dipping"

raider34, I'm not always sure what I am asking either. I am very new and trying to absorb as much info as I can the from the experience and knowledge of the members here. I will try to post a new thread tomorrow when I have more time, I will try to get some good pics of a walking liberty w/ some wear that has bright luster, and I was wondering if it may have been cleaned. thanks for the info

15. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Lol no problem. My guess would be if the coin is in a lower grade, and still appears to have luster it's probably been polished.

16. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

I didn't see that. the photo ran me off.

17. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

This info right here, was what I was fishing for.Thanks!

18. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

19. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

20. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I agree that it doesn't look right and I wouldn't bid on it but I don't know if it's fake or not. Maybe it's harshly cleaned and the luster is completely off base? His feedback doesn't look that bad and to me the denticles on the SD look acceptable, just the pic is off. Educate me if you can, I agree that it looks bad and I wouldn't bid on any of his stuff b/c of the no return policy.

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I think it's a cast fake. As mentioned the denticles, but the surface is grainy as well. And if you look closely at some of the letters in the legends you see roughness that is typical of casting.

But either somebody went to additional effort or it once circulated as real. Look at all the dirt in protected areas and around the denticles. The coin has been heavily dipped in effort to either remove that dirt accumulation from circulation, or that was placed there intentionally and then cleaned to make it look like the coin was real.

Draft saved Draft deleted