Please Post Your Cameo Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cherylkubucko, Nov 18, 2008.

1. cherylkubucko

cherylkubucko Grandma Froggie

I have been reading About the Cameo Coins but I don't really know what they look Like. Could you Please Post your coins so I may learn the differents. Thank You Very Much. Cheryl

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is the look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jason Hoffpauir and Kelly Capone like this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This might be better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jason Hoffpauir likes this.
  5. rdo

rdo Senior Member

Good question. I also want to know.

What's the diff between a Proof, Cameo Proof, and Deep Cameo Proof?
    Thanks in advance.

Kelly Capone likes this.
  6. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

There are different levels of proof coins 1( were the coin is just a proof with no cameo designation 2( a cameo coin, in order for it to pass as a true cameo the reverse and obverse have to be cameo there are some that are just cameo on one side and don't make the mark3( Ultra cameo is classified as the best proof and have a high premieum. The benjee and kennedy that are posted here are ultra cameo PF70 the highest grade.

Jazzcoins Jioe

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Here is a cameo. Jefferson Nickel 1942-P NGC PF66 CAMEO.

[​IMG]

Love that coin.

8. cherylkubucko

Would this be? Just asking.

Attached Files:

9. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Thewashigton is a cameo The Kennedy is a cameo it could have made an ultra cameo but the reverse nocked out of the box the Rosevelt dime is a ultra cameo but were is the reverse of the coin. Jazzcoins Joe

well now it's time to go to

Attached Files:

10. cherylkubucko

some more
    Thank You Cheryl

Attached Files:

11. cherylkubucko

I also want you to know the marks are not on the coin, Photos are not good. Cheryl

12. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Here is my cameo Seated Liberty Half Dollar.

If you don't know why the term 'cameo' is used for such coins take a look at the photo of the cameo mounted in a woman's broach.

Attached Files:

13. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Here we go something other than USA LOL

Attached Files:

Kelly Capone likes this.
  14. rdo

rdo Senior Member

ok. cool, i get it now!

15. cherylkubucko

Thanks ya'll for the gorgeous cameo coins, Your coins are breath taken, I know the what to look for now. Thanks ya'll again, Cheryl

16. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

The quarter is a ultra cameo and the nickle is also an ultra cameo nice coins

Jazzcoins Joe:hail:

17. cherylkubucko

Thank you. I do have the 1984 set like that. Cheryl

18. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

I just want you to know something about the later ultra cameos the don;t bring as much premium as the older ones like the fufties and sixties. They bring a fairly good one depending on who wants them. They are great coins to have i love them.

Jazzcoins Joe:D

Kelly Capone likes this.
  19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Because until 1973 the mint made no effort to ensure that all Proofs had the cameo effect. So it is not common to find cameos dated prior to '73. For '73 and later it is the norm.

Kelly Capone likes this.
  20. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

Here's a cameo related question...

I've seen the odd circulated coin that for one reason or another (usually toning) appears to have a cameo effect. Is this considered an actual cameo, or does a coin have to be a proof coin and go through a particular process to be considered a "true" cameo?

Whenever I see cameo listed in a book or price guide, I just assume they are talking about a proof coin...

21. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

No. What you are describing is dark toning in the fields and little or no toning on the raised devices. Such coins are not cameo.

Cameo coins are typically Proof or Proof-like coins with frosted devices that contrast with the fields.

Draft saved Draft deleted