Please help identify this coin - roman?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gbroke, Feb 26, 2010.

1. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Hello,

Can anyone identify this coin and give me a good estimate of its value. This is for sale locally and it seems like a good deal for what they are asking.

[​IMG]

thank you
    also: Is there any sure ways to be sure it isn't a replica or fake? Weight or something?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

Tetradrachm of Nero minted in Antioch I believe.

4. Gao

Gao Member

That's what it looks like. How much are they asking for it?

5. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

They are asking $50

6. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Is the actual coin pictured?

7. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

I would want to see a much larger pic but from what I can tell of the condition, if the coin is authentic, thats real cheap. I have seen far worse sell for far more.

8. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Well, of course I am worried that it is a copy, is there any sure way to tell when I hold it in my hands? Possible weighing it or should it be magnetic, or anything an untrained person can test to see if its real?

9. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

yes it is the actual coin pictured. seems like it is in too good of condition to be genuine.

I will request a higher resolution image.

10. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

Ancient coins aren't especially hard to find in nice condition.

I agree with Drusus that $50's a good price if the coin's authentic... but unfortunately I don't know nearly as much about Roman Provincials as I'd like.

11. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Sorry, Sir. But it looks like a copy...:(

12. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Thats all I needed to hear, thanks!

13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Nice coin!!

14. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Junior Member

I wouldn't be so quick to say that this coin is a copy. I've seen ancient coins with more crisp detail than many modern coins. The reason being that many of them were buried in the ground by soldiers before a battle and we all know that back then it wasn't unusal for tens of thousands to die in a single battle. Now that's a lot of coins never reclaimed until modern times. So for that reason they were sometimes not in circulation long enough to wear down. The coin you see in my avatar to the left shows great detail and was minted in Antioch between 337-341 AD. It's in my personal collection and I know for a fact that it's authentic. Sometimes you just have to rely on the reputation of the seller to make a judgement call. I'm not saying that it "isn't" a copy...only that it's not unusual to find such detail on ancients.

15. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

My first thought was that it is a fake but I edited my post because as said above, I have seen plenty of these coins in good condition and I havent come across known fakes that match it. The price is, IMO, very cheap for this coin with such nice detail...other ones like it sell for more like 300+ dollars give or take (probably give) thus the price its being offered at does raise a red flag in and of itself.

16. Gao

Gao Member

I agree with this. Is this being sold from a reputable dealer? Is any sort of guarentee being offered? If yes on both, then it might not be a terrible idea to buy it, get opinions from those who really know this stuff in person, and return it if it's found to be a fake. At the very least, you might want to see what people on a board more focussed on ancients think of this.

17. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

this would be a good idea but I would try to get better photos. If I couldnt get better photos I wouldnt bother with it. If it isnt being sold by a reputable dealer with a lifetime return policy I wouldnt bother either.

18. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

I think it's genuine. for those calling it fake, what are the reasons, other than the price doesn't = condition?

stainless

19. drzztop

drzztop Junior Member

I totally agree with Gao. You have to know where any coin is coming from. If you are in auction mode or private seller you have to really be careful.

20. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Thank for all the input guys. The coin is not for sale from a reputable dealer. In fact, I asked for high resolution photos of the coin, and have not gotten a response. So there is a very high chance it is a fake.

I am not willing to take the chance.

21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

either its a cheap authentic coin, or a exspensive fake. ( I guess are fakes are)but since theres not enough evidense other either. I'd pass on it too.

Draft saved Draft deleted