Please help ID this ancient coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by aviko, Dec 10, 2006.

1. aviko

aviko Junior Member

All,
    I would appreciate your kind help identifying this coin found in Israel. Any comments will be eagerly read. The coin's diameter is 15-18 mm depending on where you measure it from (it's somewhat eliptic in its current state).
    Thanks
    Avi

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Avi,
    I've seen this coin posted on the forum before.All I can say is that it looks like a Judean prutah or "widow's mite"
    but I have never seen this design before.Looks like a guy under a palm tree holding a coconut.Maybe this time someone else can identify it.

4. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

I would definitely say that it's a Widow's Mite.

5. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

It looks like the example attached, which is a prutah of Procurator Antonius Felix (52-59AD), under Emporer Claudius

I would like to imagine that the picture is of a man relaxing under a coconut tree, perhaps with an umbrella drink, but they are meant to be bunches of dates.

6. aviko

aviko Junior Member

7. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Good job guys.I looked but couldn't find it myself.That's a nice coin from one of Pontius Pilate's successors.What looked like a guy under the tree is actually part of the inscription L-ID K-AI.Now I have to get one...thanks a LOT!

Draft saved Draft deleted