picture of a 1711 8 escudos please...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by penny person, Aug 31, 2005.

1. penny person

penny person New Member

does somebody have one? or know where i can find one? i THINK i have a 1711 8 escudos brazilian coin but i am not sure. can you help?

thanks
    cory

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Hi Cory. Let me to welcome you to the forum, as this is the first posting I have seen of yours since returning from a trip..
    The 2002 3rd Ed. Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins 18th Century volume lists all Brazilian coins in Reis (5 to 20,000). According to the conversion information in the catalog, 8 Escuedo would be equal to 51,200 Reis, and the largest denomination listed is 20,000 (3-1/8 Escuedos). The earliest date listed for any coin denominated 6,400 Reis (1 Escuedo) or more, is 1927.

Presumably yours is dated 1711, but what leads you to believe that its a Brazilian 8 Escuedo?

Perhaps you can post a picture of your coin, or provide a detailed description of its size and weight, apparent metallic composition, legends and design elements. I believe we do have some members with expertise in coins of that vintage.

in Krause

4. penny person

penny person New Member

sorry, i ment bolivian rather than brazilian. but what you said makes sense. it says 711 on the bottom on the reverse side making me think it is a 1711. and on the top middle it has an 8, and seeing other 8 escudo coins with that eight up there it makes me think it is an 8. it looks similar the the coins on the atocha, but it doesn't quite match. then i found pictures of brazilian coins and they ALMOST match. when i get a camera, i will post pictures up thank you.

cory

5. satootoko

satootoko Retired

What a difference a few pages in the catalog make! :eek:

In 1711 Bolivian 8 Reales coins were minted at Potosi with 27.073g of .9310 silver and a diameter of roughly 34mm. The obverse legend is "PHILLIPPVS V D.G. HISPANIA" (Phillip V, by the Grace of God [King of] Spain), with a cross in the middle. The reverese legend is "POTOSOI ANO (date) EL PERV" (Potosi Year #### of Peru", with an 8 between the tops of two pillars. Krause values them from $100 G to $500 VF.

I'm guessing that's what you have, since the first Bolivian 8 Escuedo listed is a 1778 gold goin, also minted at Potosi, with a bust of Charles II

6. penny person

penny person New Member

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Cory -

Is this the coin you are asking about ? I know the date is different, but the design is the same if that's it.

Attached Files:

8. egoboy

egoboy New Member

are you sure its bolivia?

You haven't posted a picture but are you sure your coin is from bolivia? I have a 1711 8 escudo that was minted in Lima, Peru. I have no idea of the value, I just know what it is:

Attached Files:

9. egoboy

egoboy New Member

also

here is a picture of a good coin, its not the one i have but one of better value that i wish i had :)

ego :D

Attached Files:

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That makes two of us ;)

Welcome to the Forum !!

Draft saved Draft deleted