Photo of Ptolemy II

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by MBD, Jul 4, 2006.

1. MBD

MBD New Member

I have just finished writing a modest college textbook on INTRODUCTION TO THE HEBREW BIBLE (Hendrickson Press). I am now tryting to secure rights to photos and adequate resolution photos. I wanted to include a small black & white photo/drawing of the head of Ptolemy II. Deleted violation of forum rules

I have spent the day studying the numismatics of Ptolemy II and I am slightly confused. Some of his coins have Zeus on them, but others are attroibuted to Ptolemy II but identify the male figure as Ptolemy I. I had a drawing of a coin with Ptolemy II and his wife (his sister?), but could not find anybody to give me permission. Publishers are VERY sensitive about such things.
    dick@siena.edu

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

It's easy to tell the difference between the portraits of Zeus and the Ptolemys because Zeus is always bearded while they are clean-shaven.It's a bit trickier to differentiate Dad from son but basically,Ptolemy II has very regular features with a romanesque nose while Dad is always shown as quite distorted looking with a sharply hooked nose and protruding chin.
    I also found a photo of the other coin you mentioned on the Lawrence College website.It depicts Ptolemy II and his sister/queen Arsinoe on the obverse and Ptolemy I and wife Berenike on the obverse.Perhaps they would give you permission.Contact them here http://www.lawrence.edu/directory/contactus.shtml (art dept.)
    here is the page showing the coin: http://www.lawrence.edu/dept/art/buerger/catalogue/056.html
    Good luck!

Attached Files:

Broucheion and Magnus Maximus like this.
  4. Dumanyu

Dumanyu World Coin Collector

MBD,
    Some of the coins were "coined" during the reign of Ptolemy II, but are tributes to his father, PtolemyI.
    I have an example.

Fred Lombardo
    WINS# 616

Attached Files:

Broucheion likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted