PCGS closed-Now Reopened-now re-closed

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by desertgem, Mar 17, 2020.

1. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

@7:41pm

Dear Valued Customer,

Late today, in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19, Orange County, California issued an emergency order declaring nonessential businesses that operate within the county to close, effective immediately, through March 31, 2020.

As such, Collectors Universe and its Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) and Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) divisions are temporarily ceasing operations.

Non-local business units, such as PCGS Hong Kong, PCGS Shanghai, PSA New Jersey and PSA Tokyo, will remain open. Certified Coin Exchange (CCE) and Long Beach Expo operations will also remain operational.

Customers are asked to not ship submissions to our California office until operations are reopened. If you have an inbound shipment to Collectors Universe, it will be received and securely stored at our facility.

The situation is fluid and we’ll continue to keep our customers updated regarding the availability of our services.

We know this is a period of great uncertainty and we remain committed to providing world class services as soon as possible.

HaleiwaHI likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, now I'm wondering about ANACS. They have a couple of my coins.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Understood, I believe that there will be quite a few norms that most of us use daily that never recover from this event.

Paul M. and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Just had the second death today from 19. both associated to travel in Italy.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  6. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

Anyway in many European countries the PCGS partners have closed their offices or will do it in few days to follow governments new laws to fight Covid19.

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

There is not a single element of the fabric of our world that this thing hasn’t affected.

Cheech9712 and Paul M. like this.
  8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I was wondering when thia would happen. I have 11 coins there now. Bet it'll be June before they reopen. That's just a guess, though.
    I reckon NGC is next.

robec likes this.
  9. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

In Europe in most countries NGC partners are closed to so for sure it will be the next one to close. For June you are too optimistic I am afraid.

Avoid too to send coins by post mail, DHL should be carryon the biz but many postal services should be impacted.

It is wise to buy no coins or send no coins now from any channel and wait the time to recover and some numismatic companies have a chance to be bankrupt if it last too many time , nobody can predict.

EBay sent a message to take measure for sellers to avoid bad notation as there will not able to send coins and no litigation if buyers don’t received their coins or other goods.

10. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I talked to Paul yesterday afternoon. He said the staff was well and busy, no plans of shutting down.

As we all know that could change quickly, good luck with your submission.

11. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Not your coins anymore ;)

12. Islander80-83

Just got this in the mail:

Good Morning Tom,

ANACS is closing our in-person lobby, and will not be attending coin shows until early May (information subject to change pending further information) in response to the COVID-19 virus. We are still accepting mail orders, and are open for business otherwise. Please note that we are placing all incoming mail in quarantine for 48 hours prior to opening this. If you have a one or two day order, this will affect your turnaround time, however, turnaround time for longer orders should not be affected.

Rea Williams

Customer Service

ANACS Coin Grading
    www.anacs.com

Paul M., -jeffB and Chiefbullsit like this.
  13. Islander80-83

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 10.43.08 AM.png

14. Islander80-83

Update: This one just popped up. Love their costumer service!!!

Good Morning Tom,

We’re running about a day or two behind schedule at the moment due to volume, but your order should be shipping this afternoon!

Rea Williams

Customer Service

ANACS Coin Grading
    www.anacs.com

PO Box 6000
    Englewood CO 80155
    1-800-888-1861

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

PCGS sent me a response and said that those with vouchers that expire during the shutdown will be extended after they re-open.

Jim

HaleiwaHI likes this.
  16. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Graded coins won't be worth anything once we truly enter the apocalypse ;)
    Break those suckers out and let them breathe all this fresh clean air we have thanks to the turn-down in travel.

17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Great Collections pushed their auctions back 2 weeks too as they're right by PCGS

Paul M. likes this.
  18. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

ANACS is based in Colorado, which has 183 cases according to Google, as of right now. I would not be surprised to see them fully or mostly shut down in the next couple of weeks.

Buying and selling coins via the mail is perfectly safe in terms of the virus. In the US, mail will keep running no matter what. It would take almost a literal end of the world event to stop the USPS from running.

OTOH, it might not be financially wise to be buying coins right now, but that's another story.

19. baseball21

Probably need to edit the tread title now. Orange County seems to have changed their mind after some backlash and businesses are no longer required to close.

PCGS is back open for now.

20. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

They should stay closed so the hobby can recover its sanity.

Greg Bayes likes this.
  21. baseball21

The hobby will get it back when humanity does

Greg Bayes and Paul M. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted