Palladium and Rhodium

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by danisanub, Aug 3, 2009.

1. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

Are either of these metals worth my time at all? I was thinking of purchasing an ounce of palladium, but would I be better off with gold and silver? Palladium seems cheap enough, and I see from the charts it was over 600$ an ounce at one point.

Opinions??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

Your guess is as good as anyone else. It's speculation. But I would be confident that if precious metals moved higher, and copper is moving higher, the other metals will follow, albeit at different rates. I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket, but it would be interesting to speculate on some of the other metals.

4. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

Yeah I'm just thinking about diversifying my metals, because I have silver and gold already. I was hoping someone with palladium could lend me some advice

5. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

it's hard to play these two metals. the premium is too high.

6. Steve27

Steve27 Member

Palladium is a much better play than gold at this point, but as has been stated, the premium over melt is rather high. If the economy continues to improve you can expect to see palladium rise (it's used in catalytic converters and other industries as a substitute for platinum), while gold will fall due to the increased value of the dollar.

7. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I have always said and continue to say that Silver is, has been and should always be the better investment! However, based on the performance of Rhodium over the past couple of years and where the price is now (not much higher than Platinum), it might be a good time to invest in it as well. I wish that I had begun investing in both Silver and Rhodium when they hit lows in the 80's and then cashed out last year when they hit their' highs! I would now be retired and sipping Margaritas in Jamaica part of the year, hunting, fishing, Gold Prospecting, Gem Prospecting, Metal Detecting and Coin Show hopping the rest.

Frank

8. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

Yeah my main investment is in silver, I got 36.5 oz in the past 2 months. I think when I get my next pay check I'll buy an ounce of palladium, it can't hurt!

9. skippy

skippy Senior Member

10. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

Yeah I look at kitco everyday for my prices, and that's what got me interested in palladium

11. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I grant you that Palladium is at a fairly low price for Investors seeking cheap Metals to invest in! However, Palladium is and has been a fairly poor performer for the Investor as it is slow to gain and fairly quick to lose. I will state again, that Silver is, has been and should always out perform all of the other precious Metals but if I had the money to invest and wanted to branch out, then I would go with Rhodium due to it's performance on the Precious Metals Market. I do realize that if the World falls into a deep Depression and cash Currency becomes worthless, one would want to have highly recognized Precious Metals that can be easily traded. Therefore, if that is what your major interest is in purchasing these types of Metals, then you need to go with the common three and that is Silver, Gold and Platinum! Even if Rhodium is easily tradeable in a severely high inflation scenario, one would never want to use a $20,000, $30,000 or $40,000 1 ounce Bar to pay for a bushell of beans!

Frank

12. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

Thanks for the input frank! With that advice, I think I'll use my money in platinum instead, as I already have silver and gold. Thanks for everyone's inputs!

13. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Palladium & Rhodium are both used to coat silver Jewelry. so the price now are low and a fair to good buy now.in the further know one know that.
    Platinum, Palladium & Rhodium there are claim if you had 3 metal combined that has been mined it would fit in to 1000 ft square cube ? true I have not done the research on that

Draft saved Draft deleted