Opinions on these?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bahabully, Dec 25, 2009.

1. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. carly

carly Member

I'm not real comfortable with the NNC as a grading service. I've read reviews where their coins are routinely graded higher (and then sell for more) than the main reputable grading services.

I agree that the color is a little off--like orangy. I looked at other coins they've sold and it's hard to say whether it's the coin or the photo skills.

The auction listing also states twice that "you be the judge on the grading of the coin." Isn't that pretty much the point of the grading service? It sounds like he's already saying he can't stand behind their grade.

4. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

The coin was scanned, not photographed; that tends to throw off the color.

NNC is a junk grading "service". Treat the coin as raw, as if the slab has zero merit.

For me, the NNC slab has negative merit. Why would anyone submit a coin to this outfit, knowing that the world thinks so lowly of NNC ? Answer : someone hoping to get an unreasonably high grade on a problem coin, and sell it to an unsuspecting buyer. :headbang:

5. buzzard

buzzard Active Member

Totally agree, How was the Houston Coin Show? Couldnt get to it due to the weather and College Football that weekend.

6. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I'd say nothing wrong with the coin, but there is something wrong with what the coin is in :D
    That coin is probably not a 66, maybe an AU or a low MS at best.

7. Objective

Objective Junior Member

The post above is right, treat NNC as raw. For what it's worth, I've never seen a counterfeit in an NNC holder. Still, treat as raw.

NNC is certainly below PCGS, NGC, and ANACS. It is also below SEGS and the new DGS.

8. carly

carly Member

I was looking at the NCC website which had a notice that they can no longer accept coins for grading from Singapour as so many have turned out to be counterfeit. It made me stop for a minute--does that mean they identified and refused the counterfeits, or later found out they'd been grading and slabbing them?

So are you going to bid on it?

9. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

An ebay id of Taipan? :D

They have a 100% feedback rating, and the coins seem nice. I'm sure the coins are going at a discount rate because of the tpg.

A return policy is in place, so it seems like a nice coin to bid on.

-LTB

10. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160387943249&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Already have won 5... all cheap,,, 4 were <$3 each (as above). and I put around $25 on a 32D... started thinking about shooting at one of the more key dates, but was just hesitant because they all appear to have the same general appearance / strike / color / etc...... which prompted my post. I guess the scanner probably does kind of smear the detail of each coin into a similar image,, hopefully that's it. I'll post a high resolution picture of the 32D and one or two others when I get them in if ya'll would like.

11. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I would not touch them with a 10 ft pole. Then again you might get something nice - if nothing else something for a dansco album.

Draft saved Draft deleted