Open mint set to start 7070 album?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by oceanruss, Aug 13, 2007.

1. oceanruss

oceanruss Junior Member

I purchased a Dansco 7070 album over the weekend and a 1963 birth year mint set to start off filling the album. I’m having second thoughts now. Should I open the mint set or buy the 1963 coins individually to fill the album?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Becky

Becky Darkslider

Well, someone is going to have to open a set....:rolleyes: I never can do it either, so I buy individual coins that someone else has removed from a set, and pay more for them. Doesn't make any sense, does it?;)

4. TC2007

TC2007 Senior Member

.:rolleyes: I never can do it either, so I buy individual coins that someone else has removed from a set, and pay more for them. Doesn't make any sense, does it?;)

I can't do it, either. I have multiple proof sets that I could easily open to display them, but I could never take a pair of scissors and cut them open!

5. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

Man up and open it already. That's what you bought it for. If you continue to second guess every aspect of life, nothing will ever get done. Put the coins in the album.

I've cracked open more proof sets and cut open more mint sets than most. That's where all the nice coins come from. Once you realize that it's no big deal, maybe you will relax and enjoy them IN the album.

Set them free or you might as well return the album for a refund.

6. TC2007

TC2007 Senior Member

Alright, I'll try it with one of them........it's going to hurt, though.

7. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

nah, it won't hurt that bad

8. Ed Goldman

Ed Goldman coin collector

I open all my mint and proof sets and put them in albums...Maybe it's wrong, but I enjoy looking at them in albums.

9. oceanruss

oceanruss Junior Member

I've set them free. My album still looks so empty though. Need to decide on a year for the clad coins.

10. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

Well, you have 76 holes and you've filled 5 ...better go shopping !

11. Spider

Spider ~

whats a 7070 album?

12. FHDave

FHDave Senior Member

The Dansco 7070 is a "type" album. It has a single spot for each different coin type of all the various denominations (cent, nickel, dime, etc.) created by the US mint since 1800. In order to fill the album, you don't need to get a coin from every year that a particular coin was minted, only for the various types (e.g. Lincoln "wheat" and "memorial" backs are different "types").

13. Spider

Spider ~

ahh I get it, good luck, gold also???

14. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

yeah, my dealer in Cali was mean to me and gave me the gold page for free. I told him he was a jerk for that. Oh well, at least I can put my counterfiet gold coins into it. ;) HA!

Where I can, I am going proof coins, then unique/odd coins, then the closest to Mint State for the type set. I've got a 1995 quarter someone put a hole in.

Draft saved Draft deleted