One of My Christmas Presents...a Roman Coin...but what is it?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by eddyk, Dec 25, 2006.

1. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

I'm not really a collector of ancient coins, but a coins a coin...

[​IMG]

I've no idea what it is though, attractive design...looks like an angel with an arrow in his/her hand.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

It's hard to tell, I can't upload the picture thru image shack, but it looks like a City Commerative of Constantinopolis (sp) with either Constantine Jr. or Constantius II on the obverse. Date is around 337-363.

Take Care & Merry Christmas
    Ben

4. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

5. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I'd go along with Willieboy's attribution over mine. He's spot on :)

Ben

6. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

To hard for me to read the obverse legend. A lot of the later emperors had similar designs with basically the same portrait. Valentinian's a good bet, but I can't read it to be sure without a larger pic.

7. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

Cheers you lot.

Loads of help, and a site to reference to in the future.

8. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Anemic Oak is dead on.
    It's an AE2 bronze of Valentinian 367-375 AD.The obverse reads DN VALENTINIANVS P F AVG and the reverse shows security walking left holding a wreath and palm branch.The rev. inscription is SECVRITAS REI PVBLICAE,the mint is hard to read,either Thessalonica or Siscia most likely.
    Congrats on your first ancient Eddy.If I lived where you do,I'd be out with a metal detector looking for more.I'd probably end up in jail but...you only live once.:D

Attached Files:

9. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Actually that'd be Willie.

I personally still can't read the legend in those pics to be sure, you guys must have better eyes than me. I can think of at least four or five emperors who have basically the same coin (same bust & reverse) with just a different obv. legend.

10. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

I was just about to add Willie's name when you posted.Sorry Willie..good job!
    The way I attributed this coin is from the reverse.Only three emperors used the Securitas Reipublicae reverse like this one.Gratian,Valentinian and Valens.The inscription on the front is just simply too long to be either of the other two so that leaves Val II and his name fits perfectly over what can be seen of the lettering on Eddy's coin.

11. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

Do you know where I live lol?

They found 2 roman skelletons like 10ft at most from the front of my house, I live surrounded by fields that have been searched to death lol (or so i'm told)

It's not my first ancient either, it's my 7th :high5:

Thanks for the info...what does 'AE2' mean?

12. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

13. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

"AE2" is a Roman bronze/copper coin size in mm (millimeters).
    No one is sure exactly what the Roman denominations were.

Here is one set of definitions, there are many more:
    AE1 = 25+ mm diameter
    AE2 = 21-25 mm
    AE3 = 17-21 mm
    AE4 = less than 17 mm

Draft saved Draft deleted