One half penny Bank Token 1857 Canada Coin!!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by B12, Oct 7, 2005.

1. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

I have a Canada coin that was made in 1857.It says Bank of upper Canada in front.In back it says what the Title says.So does anyone know how much it's worth.THANKS B12

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

[​IMG] to CoinTalk B12.

I'm not quite sure what your purpose was in putting up a tiny picture of a lot of stacked coins, but it wasn't very helpful in answering your query.

The Bank of Upper Canada issued copper tokens from 1850-1857 under authorization granted in 1849. The area then known as Upper Canada is essentially the present-day Province of Ontario. The 1/2 penny issued during that period has St. George slaying the dragon on the obverse, with the date; and the bank's coat of arms in addition to the reverse legend you cited. There were 3-million minted in the final issue year of 1857. About 27mm wide, the weight is not stated in Krause.

It's #Tn2 in the Standard Catalog of World Coins by Krause & Mishler (notorious for its inaccuracy in pricing early Canadian material). The 2001 3rd Ed. 19th Century volume valued it at $2 F, $4 VF, $12 XF, and $60 Unc. An unspecified number of proofs were also produced that year (#Tn2a) which Krause valued at $350.

One of our Canadian members will probably be able to give a more definitive value range, but a picture of both sides of your coin showing its condition would be a big help.

4. Defiant7

Defiant7 Enjoy the Insanity

Can you post a picture.

5. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

I do not know how to post a picture.

6. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Before you edited your original post, it had a picture. Use the same technique you did then to post a picture of both sides of your token. Be sure to crop out excess background in order to get a decent sized image. :)

7. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

HERE'S MY PICTURES.

Attached Files:

8. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

The only book I have that shows this token is from 2002.It shows values of:

F-4.00
    VF-8.00
    EF-15.00

I think the coin would grade somewhere in that range.

Bill

9. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Excellent pictures! (You do have the sides mixed up - the side with "Bank of Upper Canada" is the obverse - front - and the side with the denomination is the reverse - back).

High relief pieces like that can be very tricky to grade. The design elements show too much wear for a VF grade, but the legends are too sharp for an F, possibly approaching XF quality. There may be some special grading considerations used by Canadian collectors for this type of item, but if it was something I collected, I would probably go high VF money for it on a net grade basis. I don't think I would discount it too much for the cleaning it probably received many years ago.

All in all, a great item for a pre-unification Canadian collection.

10. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

Thank you Bill and Roy I appreciate your help. B12

11. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

St George piece.

B12,these pieces are affectionately known as 'St George' pieces because of their obverse design.Despite the prices & mintage figures,the 1857's are the most underrated date,as they seldom turn up.Over here in New Zealand,it is the 1850's & the 1852's that turn up.Some of the 1850 1d.'s have a dot on the reverse between the tips of the cornucopiae.This is a scarce coin.

Aidan.

12. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

Thanks for the information!I did not know that. B12

13. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

B12,Upper Canada is now the Province of Ontario,& Lower Canada is now the Province of Quebec.

Aidan.

14. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

Ok. Thanks B12

15. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

Thanks again.B12

Draft saved Draft deleted