Old Styles On Tv

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Coinlover, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

i got a question to ask. have you ever noticed on movies, news, and other tv programs when they show a large amount of cash it is always in old style bills? it just seems like it is against the law or something to show common money.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Don't quote me on this, but as far as I know it's perfectly legal to show any amount you want of genuine currency. This is however a limit to how much fake currency can be made for the sake of props, due to anti-counterfeiting laws. (It also can't be so close to real currency that it could pass for real on close examination.) The legality issue isn't how much money you can show, but an issue of making fake currency whether you show it or not. If you want to show a large amount of money it's probably not cost effective to come up with that much real currency for the sake of props (also makes for a security problem, to make sure someone doesn't get the urge to walk off with it). So they can either use fake currency that wouldn't pass as real on close examination, or they can do what some do, have bundles of notes where they use a real note on top and bottom but the inside of the bundle is just blank paper. Sometimes they just bank (no pun intended lol) that nobody is going to pay close attention anyway and just use play money or copies of non-legal tender notes. I think I saw one time where they used novelty million dollar bills, which are not considered counterfeit since there is no genuine bill worth that much.

4. ambro

ambro www.lincolncentennial.com

Yeah I noticed that too. On CNBC....the shots of fanning through a stack of bills....

I suppose cheap stock footage of "fanning through new bills" isnt in the cheap stock footage libraries yet :)

Whats really REALLY intersting it to watch Chaplin or Arbuckle films from the teens, they show money every so often....Those large, exotic bills from the teens which bring thousands today!

Draft saved Draft deleted