Old Iraq Currency

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by shatsi, Oct 6, 2005.

1. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

Does anyone know what happened to the currency used when Saddam ruled the country? Was it cancelled or are they still legal tender? I like to have a set of notes, I like the colorful notes but if its not legal tender then I might not go for it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

they were cancelled. you can buy full sets on Ebay - but they are worth less then the paper they were printed on -- i should know- i bought some :D

you are right however, the artwork is cool!!

4. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll wait till I get a really good deal just to have some for the beauty.

5. arl95

arl95 New Member

I spent just over a year in Baghdad and we used the old money to lite our cigars.

6. KLJ

KLJ Really Smart Guy

I have two old Iraqi notes that I bought out of the $1 bin. One is pre-Desert Storm, and the other is post. The difference in quality is immediately obvious.

7. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

I havent seen any Iraqi money made past suddahm (sp). I will have to see if i can find some if the artistic beauty is that superior... As for the price... hell if i pay $1 per bill that is only worth 22cents after the conversion, it may be overly inflated, but doesnt hurt.

8. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

Were you in the military...?? Both my brother and my Cousin were over there for a year. My brother the first year - was part of the first wave, and my cousin the second year - that dang kid was trained in gorilla warfare... good thing they both came home safe.

9. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

That's funny. When I was in Russia, I'm not a russian, I used the rubles for toilet paper when the street exchange was 6000 rubles to every american dollar. If anyone ever was in Russia during the 1980's they would know about the shortages and the harshness of the toliet paper they were using. Still have some rubles , clean ones that is.

By the way, WELCOME BACK.

10. arl95

arl95 New Member

yep, army pilot. second wave.

11. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

happy for the safe return!!! :eek:

12. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Same here.

Draft saved Draft deleted