offset/Misstruck Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bobbycoin, Jan 27, 2005.

1. bobbycoin

bobbycoin New Member

I have a lincoln penny (if you can call it that) that the strike only hit maybe 5% of the coin. You can not see the date and I dont know what year it is from.

Lookin for suggested selling price and general worth.

Thanks for any replys.

-Bobby

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IvanV

IvanV New Member

Welcome Bobby! well...I can't help you there, you might get some more help in the Error Coin forum...hopefully some MOD will move this thread to there...also, what are you looking for? price for it? or anything else?

4. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Welcome to the forum, Bobby :)

This is the definition of a coin that is Struck Off-Center 71 percent or more:
    Errors like this occur when a coin is struck above or out of the collar and only partly between the dies, showing on the struck coin as a partial strike with an unstruck area amounting to 71 percent or more of the planchet area. This definition is taken from the Official Price Guide to Mint Errors (6th edition).

The book goes on to say that a 95% off-center strike does not have as much collector value as one that has more of the design on the planchet. It lists the value at $2 and up.

5. Kyra

Kyra New Member

Hi Bobby! From what I've seen, the off-center strikes that have the dates visible tend to bring higher prices than the ones that are dateless. Still an awesome find, all I ever find are the dumb mis-aligned die strikes. They look good at first but then you realize it's not what you think it is! :(

Rachel :p

6. bobbycoin

bobbycoin New Member

Thanks for the welcomes.

I've been a collector all my life (23 if you are wondering). My grandma has been buying proof sets and uncirc. sets for a while even before I was born so I have a good collection going there. I also have been collecting uncommon US coins mostly (Franklin halfs, Ike Dollars...), Not really "rare" but just not ones you see every day. This was my fist misstrike and I didnt do enough research so I think I got a bit ripped on what I payed for it now that Im looking into it... Lets just say its in the double digits Times what susanlynn9 says its worth.

I just joined a coin "club" for my Daughter. Starting her collection like my grandma did mine. I purchased 2 peace dollors from her birth year (2004) and am now in the Littleton Coin Club. They send me coins each month to preview then I pick witch I would like to keep and only pay for those, plus they pay to ship the ones I dont back! Or if I buy them all I get a discount. It's a great club. Anyone else happen to be a member?

-Bobby

7. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Frayed Knot ! on the Littleton question !!

Hello and Welcome to the forum Bobbycoin !!

If you can could you post a pic of those 2004 Peace Dollars ?

8. bobbycoin

bobbycoin New Member

I may have misspoke on the name of these coins. Walking liberty on the front, eagle with a shield on the back. Back states "1 oz. fine silver - one dollar"

Looking at the cover it came in it is a "Silver American Eagle". Sorry for the mistake. Ill try to get a pic up here.

-Bobby

9. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

I really like the American Silver Eagles. If you have seen the proofs, they're breathtaking and can be purchased directly from the US Mint (unlike the uncirculated examples).
    http://catalog.usmint.gov/wcs/wcs_c...Category;+nextCategory;+prevCategory;,00.html

I would suggest that you do a thread search for "Littleton". There have been a lot of opinions expressed about that company and you may find them very informative.

10. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Hi Bobbycoin

I kind of suspected that the SAE's were what you had purchased, they are very nice and Im sure that your Daughter will love them as she gets older again Welcome to the forum alot of good people here, just sit back and be comfortable ,,share your interests in this great hobby with us.

Susans suggestion about taking a look at the threads on Littleton is a good one.

Rick

Draft saved Draft deleted