Numismatic Database

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mike Willner, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

Been collecting for a year with my son, and we cover US Modern, World, Ancient etc. I wanted a way to keep track of the coins and found Numismaster. Seemed great, especially since it is supported by the Krause cataloges, so you can search up the coin you have, click, and get all the details loaded in automagically.

However, there are some severe limitations on getting the info back out. For example, you can indicate what coins are on your want list, but there is no way to simply display and print your want list! Same with many other simple data functions you would naturally want, like dump your list of coins to Excel or even text. No matter how many email I send they don't respond to simple questions.

So now I'm reluctantly ready to bite the bullet and purchase some more capable software. Anyone aware of a good database, maybe one that also provides the basic details about the coins like Numismaster?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dollar1948

Dollar1948 New Member

Not me, but I do want to upgrade.
    Im just using an Excel spreadsheet right now

4. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

Same , but it works well ... all my coins have a sticker ... like this TC00124458 is a GB 1887 Crown ... I put how i paid , when i bought it , silver content , notes , etc .... alot of information.

5. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

I started down the Excel path as well before I ran across Numismaster. If the thing wasn't such a Data Motel ("data goes in but it don't go out") I'd be very satisfied.

6. schatzy

schatzy ~Roosie Fanatic~

only excel here!!

7. weryon

You can transfer the excel sheet in Microsoft access with a pre-built template and see it in a more eye pleasing way. It lets you make boxes of text and fields ... drop down menus basically anything your little heart desires. You can even do print outs, charts .... anything.

8. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

I'm using Excel as well. Started it with Lotus 123, went to Excel years ago. I'm pretty good with dressing up the page and with macros to let me print what I want when needed.

I'll be watching to see what others have done/found for a data base type application.

9. gewoodfo

gewoodfo Member

Try This company's product

All: I use a Product called Exact Change by wildman software. It is very good, has a lot of flexability and the support by the company has been OUTSTANDING!!

Alos, once you buy it, all futures upgrades are FREE:hail:.

I do not have the eb site at the present but it you do a search here for the product name or comppany name, I am sure that you will find a post with that info.

Later,

G.E.

10. Sholom

Sholom retired...

it's at http://www.exactchange.info/

I have a question: the web site explains: "The pricing page displays variety and pricing information" . . . where is this pricing data from, and does it ever get updated?

11. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

Just to make things worse, we have Macintosh at home, and of course this doesn't work on Mac. However, it would be great if others can use this solution.

12. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I have a Mac at home too. What's worked for me recently is a program called Bento. It's made by the same company that makes Filemaker Pro. It's basically a database program but you don't need to know a lot about creating databases. It has templates you can use or you can create your own. You can add media images; pics or video. You can add drop down boxes or just text boxes. Bento also uses the contact info found in your Address book on your Mac. So if you have dealer info you want to pull into the form Bento will have the contact info right there for you to use. You can print out lists of your entire collection or only certain records. You can make what they call a "smart collection" so if you want to have certain coins like Morgan Dollars for example, separate you can carve them out of your main collection. Program is really easy to use and it can be used to inventory other items not just coins.

13. weryon

I'm not realy a fan of buying things :p

14. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I'm an Excel fan too. If you really look into Excel there is a lot of things you could do with that program. For one thing you could place a column in the very front of your entries and call it want. enter a preferred desire number in that column for any coins you want. In other words if you want a 1926S Mercury Dime more than anthing else, in that column you put a 1. Now if you use the sort feature and specify that column, poof, you get a want list in order of your preference.
    I used to do this but when I go to coin shows I see so many other coins I want, could use, would like to have, shouldn't spend the money on, etc. I forget about those silly lists in my pockets.
    The one thing I try to tell people is if you do use Excel, you can place your coin info on one of those flash drives and take it with you anywhere. Probably most of the people with computers have Excel. If you decide to use a different program, remember your info is only available on a computer with that program.

15. gewoodfo

gewoodfo Member

Hi Sholom and all:

I am not really sure wheer they get there priing ata from. I do know tht it seems to be sparse.

Give them a call or email. The are god about responding

Draft saved Draft deleted