Now what about the buffs?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by tmoneyeagles, May 12, 2009.

1. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Will these buffalos ever go down, price wise?
    I wanted a $5 buffalo so bad, around christmas, but I decided to buy a a tenth ounce AGE instead..I'm regretting that...

The mintage is so low, and the FS population is low as well...
    One of my friends sold a $5 MS70 for $587...THAT IS INSANE... And no First Strike Designation...
    So will those buffs, go down, ever?
    Or will they just continue to steadily rise...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

When collectors start to realize how low the mintages were of these coins, prices will start to jump.

4. tekhen

tekhen Member

for comparisons:

1995-W Proof American Silver Eagle
    Mintage: 30,195
    Greysheet Ask Price: $3,000

2008-W Unc. Gold Buffalo 1 tr. oz.
    Mintage: 9,427
    Greysheet Ask Price: $1,200

all I can add is "wait for it... wait for it..."

If the economy can find its way out of the doldrums, I believe the Au bison will realize a similar trend to that of the 95-W proof ASE.

5. tmoneyeagles

Well, if they can sell that high raw...
    Not a ton of difference at the moment between 69's and 70's with buffalos, but that 95 W... Between a 69 and a 70, that is a real doozy!
    Man, I'm biting my tongue for not getting that $5 buffalo at $129....

6. tekhen

tekhen Member

This is one where I believe certification really doesn't matter. Modern minted Au/Ag coins typically grade 69/70 and in this case, the mintage (one year and under 10k) is what will push the value.

Using eBay as a price range, one can realize a $1000+ profit for the 4-coin set (raw) from the mint pricing in Oct/Nov.

7. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

This would be great if this happens, and I hope it does, but something I have learned over the years that it is not necessarily about mintage, but also demand. There is a lot of demand for the buffs, but there is a lot more for the ASE that is why the price has driven up so high. Had it not been for the demand, the price would be much less.

Lets take two coins to illustrate my point. The 2006 AGE Rev proof and the 2007 APE rev proof. The AGE has a total mintage of 20,000 and the APE has a total mintage just a tad under 20k. Platinum is a bit more expensive than gold, but the AGE is 1oz and the APE is 1/2oz. The cost for the AGE is around 2500 to 3k, but the price for the APE is 1k and if you are lucky, you can find it for less. So whats my point? AGEs are more popular than APEs thus the demand is driving the value up for the AGEs and not the APEs.

8. tmoneyeagles

Very good point my friend...
    Thing is...
    Gold will always be in more demand, and more popular than platinum :)

Draft saved Draft deleted