Non-current world currency

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Otter, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Otter

Otter Likes shiny objects

I was given a small stack of paper money from around the world from a former 'world traveler'. My guess is that most of it is no longer 'current' and therefore worthless. Is there a good website that will help determine which is current money and which their government no longer accepts?

Anything in 'recent' foreign money that is collectable?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

just because it is old or non-current, does not make it worthless. In fact, alot of notes are worth more becuase at the time an issue was deemed no longer current, there might have been a time period to convert from the new to the old. Alot of times this makes the older issues worth more then they might otherwise have been.

of course, there are some countries whose notes are worth pennies regardless if the issue is current or not.

I dont know of a site like that which you are reffering to. I usually look throughmy currency books, and find the last time they converted currencies, and then i know after that date is the currenct issue.

4. Otter

Otter Likes shiny objects

Thanks....perhaps I shall start there.

5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The "MRI World Banker's Guide" is the authority on the subject. But as the other poster pointed out, stuff like Swiss, Dutch, German notes all were demonetised over time - but still have collectable value. Dutch notes are all redeemable until 25 years after their last issuance, I believe it is similar in Switzerland - maybe 20 years. German notes issued after 1948 are redeemable.

French notes after 1945 were redeemable up to certain points in time, I believe the last Franc notes are redeemable until recently, but the older ones were no longer valid after the late 1990s.

6. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

thats good info scottishmoney! Yet another publication i will have to look into lol

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Curious, About current and none current isnt it worth the same? Just means
    That is no longer being printed? right?

8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Not realy, some currency might have the same name but due to things like regiem changes or re-valuation it's worth is totaly different. Then of course you have the collectable value of a note :eek:
    Otter if you have any that you are unsure of, post scans and I am quite sure one of us will be able to help :thumb:

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

No, they actually lose their value as means of payment. Usually, when a new series of notes is issued, you can continue using the old ones for a while. The next phase is a redemption period - in that phase the old notes are no longer legal tender, and stores will not accept them, but you can still get them exchanged into current notes.

Here in Germany for example, all paper money issued in this country (Federal Republic of Germany) can be exchanged into euro cash "forever". The central bank will however not exchange cash from other or earlier countries.

Elsewhere in Europe the redemption periods are either pretty long (say 20 years) or indefinite. And there are reasons like the ones De Orc mentioned ...

Christian

10. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Thank you Christian, For the quick lesson! Iam always eager to learn
    More!!

Draft saved Draft deleted