Nomos win today: Kroisos 1/3 Stater

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kazuma78, Jul 10, 2020.

1. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I've had my eye on this little guy since Nomos put their auction out. I've been wanting a coin of Kroisos for awhile and this is one of the best I've seen in awhile with most of the lion and bull on the flan. It was more affordable since it's a fraction, but I'm pretty happy to add it.
    20200710_124007.jpg
    KINGS OF LYDIA. Kroisos, circa 560-546 BC. 1/3 Stater (Silver, 15x11 mm, 3.60 g), Sardes, 560-550. Confronted foreparts of a lion, on the left, and a bull, on the right. Rev. Two incuse squares of unequal size. BMFA 2071. Rose 666. SNG Keckman 359. Very well-struck, attractive and lightly toned. Minted on an irregular flan, otherwise, extremely fine.

Limes, Ryro, Theodosius and 33 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

These are great coins, I always like looking through them. Very old too. Although how 'affordable' they are reminds me why I have to limit my areas of interest...

kazuma78 likes this.
  4. kazuma78

Yeah, that's why I could stomach the fraction. A full stater in this condition would probably be $8k+.

DonnaML likes this.
  5. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice coin. Very clear design.

kazuma78 likes this.
  6. kazuma78

Thanks! That's why I liked it. Well struck and most of the design is on the flan. Usually these are missing quite a bit of detail.

happy_collector likes this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin. Good catch.

8. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

The full lion and bull are indeed remarkable on your coin - congrats! I also like seeing the edge of the design of the bull, an attribute that attracted me to my heavy stater:

CroesusHeavy.jpg

Ryro, Theodosius, DonnaML and 15 others like this.
  9. kazuma78

Thanks for the compliment! Yours is fantastic, a real stunner! I feel like a pretty complete design is difficult to find on any denomination in the series.

AncientJoe likes this.
  10. El Cazador

El Cazador Well-Known Member

@kazuma78
    I was watching 2 lots during today’s live bidding: Augustus Tetradrachm - which I lost, and Pegasus Stater.

I was very happy to see price realized for the Akarnania starter below, as it was multiple of what I paid earlier this week for mine (second image below). 6FE4683E-05F6-4690-BA1B-FA337D9F80C3.jpeg 6ADAF311-F349-4A1A-83D0-A93AAAABF139.jpeg

Ryro, Theodosius, zumbly and 5 others like this.
  11. kazuma78

Yours is very nice! That seems like a very high price for that Nomos coin. Prices were certainly strong today.

Obone and El Cazador like this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Man... I like that coin a lot, @kazuma78! It was on my watch list but ultimately I didn't bid (completely forgot about the auction! :sorry:).

Congrats on the acquisition! :)

13. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Great coin! Beautifully struck, congratulations on your win:D
    John

kazuma78 likes this.
  14. kazuma78

Thanks!! I bid on another piece but couldn't justify putting in the last bid needed to take it home since it is so tiny. The prices seemed pretty strong today, so when I walked away with this one for far less than my max, I was pretty thrilled. Can't wait to get it in hand! This was the other piece I bid on.
    20200710_212435.jpg
    MYSIA. Kyzikos. Circa 550-500 BC. Hemihekte or 1/12 Stater (Electrum, 7 mm, 1.37 g). Two tunny fish: one above swimming to right and the lower to left; below, pellet. Rev. Quadripartite incuse square. Hurter & Liewald III, 35. Von Fritze 15 var. Very rare. Clear and attractively toned. Obverse slightly off-center, otherwise, extremely fine.

15. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

kazuma78 likes this.
  16. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

kazuma78, Limes, panzerman and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted