No limits on the Proof Buffalo

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by green18, Oct 23, 2009.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Mintage limits.....No

Price limits......Yes

Boy, I remember the good old days when a proof buffalo cost around $800. Where have those days gone?

4. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Undecided here. The price is a bit scary, but I guess its Halloween next week.

5. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Good one! LOL! :thumb:

6. green18

And we thought that was a tad over the top, eh Joe? LOL

7. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Wow no limits.. Well, let's review historical data since I'm a technical analyst, that's what I like to do.

In the past, what coins yielded a no mint limit and ended up becoming rare? Has that situation ever occurred? If so, let's find some examples.

8. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

2008-W $50 PROOF BUFFALO.....:eating:

9. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I wouldn't be concerned with rarity based on mintage limits. No limits simply means nobody is buying right now. So, even with no limits, not many of these are likely to get out. Of course, those who buy during a no buy time are likely to never recoup their money anyways because the prices are too high to cover the profit margin, even with limited numbers. When people stop buying, it usually means something is about to happen.
    Guy~

10. boxerchip

boxerchip Runnin' Buffalo

I am new to buying coins direct from the mint, but it seems this is info they are making up. I dont see anywhere else that they will not have a limit. Also, I find it hard to trust a website about coins that does not know what matte finish means..... if its a proof it's NOT a matte finish. Matte = lack luster, not shiny, not glossy and NOT a proof. I think someone over there is quite confused and should get **** under control before posting it on the web :p

11. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Don't all of the proof buffalo coins have textured and rough proof fields, which are unlike the smooth flat reflective fields of other modern proofs... I think that is what is mean by matte finish in this case, although not the best description to use.

This coin doesn't really interest me so I will not be buying. Good luck to those that choose to buy it though :)

12. green18

As per the Red Book old fellow...

"Matte Proofs have a granular "sandblast" surface instead of the mirror finish. Matte Proof cents, nickels, and gold coins were issued from 1908 to 1916; a few 1921 and 1922 silver dollars and a 1998-s silver half dollar were also struck in this manner.

I think the mint knows what it's doing Boxer......:)

13. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Ain't that the truth! LOL! :goofer:

14. boxerchip

I fail to see what the definition of a matte proof has to do with what I just said. The buffalo coin pictured in that link has a matte finish... no contrast, not mirror like etc. Also, I agree the mint knows what they are doing, what I was disputing is that site.

15. green18

Have it your way.....

16. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Well, I think the Gold proof buffs will be a very interesting buy. I am getting mine.

17. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Help me get something straight. If the spot price of gold goes below $1050, the price of the coin goes down by $50? That seems like a good "discount" for only a $6 or so drop in spot.

18. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Yep, that is why we need to all wait a few weeks and see what will happen. Look for those deals. Knowing when to buy and when not to buy is the secrete. I have done quite well so far and fortunately have not been on the losing end of a purchase but only once. Unfortunatley, it was a biggie that I am still getting over...... and that was 2 years ago. If this market is anything like the last two times it went over $1000, it should drop very shortly......just be patient! :hammer:

19. boxerchip

Thats one way to look at it jaceravone, or you could buy one now, and then double down if it drops... then all your bases are covered even if it goes up :)

Draft saved Draft deleted