Nickel questions.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinCrave, Jan 8, 2009.

1. CoinCrave

CoinCrave Member

Do you think pre 1960 nickels are worth a buck each? I might try to sell a few of mine since im getting doubles.

Also, were jefferson nickels made in 1937? I have a jefferson with the date 1937. I purchased it from antique store.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

it depends on the condition..average circs are at about 20 cents each...High MS go for more.

As far as a '37 Jeffy, Redbook says no. Unless it is kinda like a '64 Peace or something, but never heard of a jeffy from 1937...got pics?.

stainless

4. CoinCrave

CoinCrave Member

Thanks. I'll have to post pictures of the nickel when I get home. Its just a normal nickel nothing extra on it. I know the nickel was bought at a estate or auction. The owner of the antique store had 1,000's coins.

5. TC2007

TC2007 Senior Member

I'd like to see that '37 also, keep us posted!

6. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Pre-1960 nickels typically trade for $0.05 to $0.10 each. The exceptions would be if they are key dates, uncirculated, war nickels, overdates, or other significant varieties. If you're just talking about normal circulated Jeffersons, they are very close to face value.

I'm calling monkey business on the 1937 Jefferson, but I, too, would like to see a picture.

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

unless it is a pattern, nope,
    no 1937 Jeffies.

I just checked Judd, and no patterns are listed.
    so, nope.

8. CoinCrave

CoinCrave Member

I still have 6 more hours of work. Do you guys think it could possibly be from a test run of the new design?

9. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Possibly. It sounds interesting.

10. coinblogger

coinblogger Senior Member

That would be neat to find a 1937 Jefferson nickel. It would have to be a pattern coin.

11. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

It could be. That's was Treashunt was referring to, when he mentioned it might be a "pattern."

However, he also indicated that he checked the leading reference for US patterns, and that he didn't find one.

Anything is possible, but in numismatics, as in the rest of life, most of the time the simplest explanation is the correct one. In this case, the simplest explanation is monkey business.

Okay...I'll stop being so cynical. You could have the one-in-a-million ultra-rare piece. How did you come across it?

Oh, by the way...your boss says quit visiting CoinTalk and get back to work.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'll be a bit more direct. If you have a nickel with the date 1937 on it - it's a fake.

13. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Well, that's one way to go too...

14. coinblogger

coinblogger Senior Member

That's funny!!

15. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

With Doug's words of wisdom, it would be a good idea to weigh it and do a magnet test on it. ;) Also, find out how long the owner owned it?

Ribbit :)

16. CoinCrave

CoinCrave Member

I'm not sure how long he owned it. I don't even think he noticed it. I'll post pictures tonight. It looks like its at least 40-50 years old.

17. Nickeldude

Nickeldude Senior Member

Cant wait to see this 37 nickel

18. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

Ditto! LOL

19. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Nope---fake.

Speedy

20. sketcherpbr

sketcherpbr Enthusiast

pics?? sounds like a fake to me. but I'd still keep it = )

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably a 1957 with an altered or damaged date.

Couldn't be a pattern because of the timeline of the contest that led to the Jefferson nickel the design wasn't chosen in 37.

Draft saved Draft deleted