Nice $50 given in change

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by NPCoin, Jun 28, 2009.

1. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

On my visit to a coin dealer to do some business this weekend, I got this note in change. I was surprised to see such an old note still circulating, especially for the denomination.

1974 $50 obv
    1974 $50 rev

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

A cool find for sure. But, I'm not surprised by the denomination. When I worked at the bank I often found older examples of large bills. It was the old small denomination bills that are much harder to find. They seem to circulate more and thus wear out.

4. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

i agree with our resident soon-to-be dentist lol

i dont find many older notes in circulation large or small, but i see his point about the small denoms circulating and wearing alto faster. Plus in todays economy, larger notes pay the bills easier :( spend 1 older $50 ... or 50 older $1's??? always a super tough choice!!!

5. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

I bank at a few different banks in the area. I've talked to a few tellers (as they have shown me their note stashes) and the policy in the banks in our area is to send the older notes ($5-$100) back in for the "new and improved" anti-counterfeit notes. It has been a few years now since seeing any large denomination notes older than 2001. I tend to see older $1 more often than large denominations.

But, yes, in today's economy, a large denomination note has got to be a REAL find to keep. Some people here have never seen that design though. :p Not that we're all as old as Doug, but it's nice to see something classic like that once in a while.

6. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Thats what will make it more desireable in the future. Save it if you can.

Draft saved Draft deleted