Ngc

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by craig a, Apr 11, 2008.

1. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

Can anyone tell me how to look up a registration number from NGC. Like to check if that number really exsists? Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

4. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

Thanks rim's. That helped.

5. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

Don't rely solely upon that, as there are now counterfeit coins in counterfeit ANACS, NGC and PCGS holders with genuine "registration numbers".

6. grizz

grizz numismatist

7. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

Yes. I called and customer service described the coin as it was tagged. Thanks.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Can you explain that? So far the coins in the fake NGC slabs have matched what was on the tags and the numbers are real, but the coins and the slabs have been fake. So the coins matching the tags doesn't mean anything.

9. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Great point.

Let's say you're a counterfeiter, and you just made a batch of baddies. It's easy to determine what certificate numbers to use in your fake slabs.

10. Niel

Niel Mostly Sane

PCGS has been petitioning eBay to stop accepting coin auctions from sellers out of China, which appears to be where the counterfeit coins in fake PCGS slabs are coming from.
    Not sure if NGC is also pushing for that...but they should IMHO.

I guess bottom line is to get educated before you bid on any coin or note....and if it looks to be good to be true, it probably is. How many times have we all heard these refrains? ;)

11. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

Ah. True enough. I saw it at a coin show. And I suppose it couldve been a fake. For that matter his entire inventory spread out on the table could have been bogus. The coin was going for a price equal to the coin values on line price for the type. The guy didnt have any TONG tattoos, and the smell of kung pao chicken wasnt present. But who knows, it may well have been a Chinese syndicate operation. Much like how Al-Queda tries to infiltrate airports by posing as a wheelchair bound old white woman. If experts from the Secret Service cannot detect these sophisticated fakes, what chance do I have? I tend to lean on the side of trust. Then again, I dont look under my bed before I go to sleep.

12. Mark Feld

Where did you get the idea that they even get called upon to make such determinations very frequently, much less, that they are unable to do so?

13. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

Good gosh. Okay. A random expert. I do recall reading something about how good these Chinese fakes were. So good in fact that they fooled some experts. And I could be wrong, but I think the Secret Service has something to do with counterfeiting, or that its part of thier job to quell such an activity. Or bad money and the Treasury Department have something to do with each other. Yes yes. They are now part of Homeland Security. At least that is what my son's best friend told me is that they get involved in counterfeit money. He's a Secret Service agent. So I took it for granted he wasnt lying. Of course they dont pursue small potatoes, only amount over ten thousand dollars. But I'm sure I read in here that fake coins from Asia is big business. And I didnt write the word 'frequently' any where.

14. Mark Feld

There are indeed a large number of counterfeit coins (and more recently, third party grading company holders, too) coming from Asia. Some of them are convincing, to varying degrees, while others are poorly done.

I haven't heard anything about the secret service examining them or being fooled by them, so I was curious what your post was based upon.

15. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

My post was a simple question. Sadly it turned into a mish mash of how the TPG coin I wondered about was more than likely a fake. And someone I know who is a secret service agent told me they take these fake coins from Asia very seriously. Maybe they arent fooled by them. Maybe no one is. I'm sorry I ever posted the original question.

16. Mark Feld

I don't see that in the replies to this thread. But I do see a number of warnings that confirmation of the fact that an NGC registration number actually exists doesn't necessarily indicate that a given coin is genuine.

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

My post should have answered you question completely. The fact that other people elaborated further you should take as a compliment.

18. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

I called NGC for, lets say a 1925 SLQ MS62 . I gave the person in customer service the registration number. And she told me it was for a 1925 SLQ MS62. So I guess it could be a fake. And I do tend to use hyperbole. And I dont take everything literally. Thanks to all those who helped me.

19. Mark Feld

For what it's worth, I haven't seen or heard of low grade unc., common date Standing Liberty Quarters being counterfeited and offered in counterfeit holders.

20. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

Hmm. How about high grade common date SLQs? Any fakes of those lurking about? Thanks for your input.

21. Mark Feld

I am not aware of any at this time, though I can't guarantee you that they don't exist.

Draft saved Draft deleted