NGC submission #6700874 - images - now updated with grades and results

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jan 18, 2023.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I just updated the first two posts to add some basic descriptions of what the coins are. I was initially working from my phone when I posted this thread, and just posted images with no text, originally.

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

You got another one over me....
    I do not have a smart phone/ just reg. house phoneo_O

Robidoux Pass and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

Finally, the results of Submission #6707874!

As some of you will recall, a few of these were formerly in NGC slabs but broken out by the previous owner.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Athenian Owl tetradrachm. Ex-NGC AU.
    [​IMG]

Result: AU, Strike 4/5, Surface 4/5. So same grade as before. It did lose one strike rating point from its previous encapsulation whereby it was Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5. I'm just happy it reslabbed at the same grade. I got a really great deal on this coin. This was #1 of 4 in a nice four-coin lot I picked up for only $750. At that price I feel like I bought the Owl for a decent price and got the other three coins for free!
    [​IMG]

Aspendos stater, ex-Comptoir de Monnaies. They graded it Choice AU.
    [​IMG]

Result: XF, Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5. I'm content with that. I've gone back to using the seller's images for my gallery photo below, rather than the NGC Photovision ones, just because I like them a tiny bit more.
    [​IMG]

Alexander the Great drachm, lifetime issue. Ex-NGC VF. This was #2 of 4 in the lot I bought the Owl in.
    [​IMG]

Result: VF, Strike 5/5, surface 5/5. It was previously VF in a basic bulk slab without the strike and surface ratings. So same grade as before. I'm pleased.[​IMG]

Constantine the Great AE3. Ex-NGC Ch AU. Was included with the Owl tetradrachm, above (Coin #3 of 4 in that particular lot).
    [​IMG]

Result: Ch AU, Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5. Same as before, though this was previously in a bulk slab without strike and surface ratings. I'm pleased. Late Roman bronze is not really my thing, but this one will go into my collection, because everybody needs at least one Constantine the Great coin, right?
    [​IMG]

Geta denarius. Just something I found in one of my boxes, which I had forgotten I even owned.
    [​IMG]

Result: Ch VF, Strike 5/5, Surface 2/5. The low surface rating is not really a surprise. This one seems to have been cleaned a bit roughly when found, so there are a few tooling marks. I'm content, and it is a decent looking coin otherwise. I may keep it, or I may sell it. It was kind of an afterthought on this submission.
    [​IMG]

Tiberius "Tribute Penny". Was included with the Owl tetradrachm, above. Coin #4 of 4 in that aforementioned lot.
    [​IMG]

Result: XF, Strike 3/5, Surface 2/5. The strike and surface ratings are modest, but this is still likely the nicest of three Tribute Pennies I have owned over the years. And it was essentially free to me, coming as it did in that $750 four-coin lot with the Owl, the Alexander, and the Constantine. I'm tickled. By itself, it too might be worth close to the price I paid for the whole lot?
    [​IMG]

Year 2 Jewish War prutah. A relatively inexpensive pickup at the 2023 FUN show. My first Judaean, not counting some low-end Widow's Mites.
    [​IMG]

Result: F, Strike 4/5, Surface 4/5. This was a mere $60 coin, so the slab cost me about as much as the coin did. I don't mind that, though, and now I have a historic Judaean coin in my collection. Maybe one day I'll upgrade to something more fantastic, but for now, I am content with this piece.
    [​IMG]

Caria, Rhodes drachm. I like the type.
    [​IMG]

Result: XF, Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5. I am very happy, and like this little coin a lot. Perfect strike and surface ratings! Yay!
    [​IMG]

Neapolis hemidrachm. My first gorgon type. A tiny little thing.
    [​IMG]

Result: bodybag. Not genuine. Uh-oh! Bummer. Oh well. This coin was a gift, so it cost me nothing except the slab fees. I'm glad I found out, anyway.

5. lordmarcovan

6. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

I think saying congratulations is the way to go here, @lordmarcovan! That Caria drachm is fantastic. And just 750 for those 4 coins is the deal of this century! Too bad the last one turned out to be fake...

lordmarcovan and panzerman like this.
  7. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

Yes, great coins all around! And please let me know if that seller has any other group lots he wants to sell. ;)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. El Cazador

El Cazador Well-Known Member

IMG_3348.jpeg
    Last one was attempted to be sold on FB group for $400

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    Ed Snible and lordmarcovan like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

Certainly looks like the same one. But mine just left my custody this morning. The person who gave it to me wants to return it to the auction source from which he got it (not eBay). So we’re sending it back up the chain of custody.

I gather, then, that this must be a known fake with identical markings, which NGC picked up on? Interesting. This is the first time in my Ancients collecting I’ve encountered an outright fake. I did get “authenticity unverifiable” on a Galba sestertius from NGC once- it had some filing on the rim. They bodybagged that one but did not outright declare it fake. Just unverifiable.

10. El Cazador

Any chance to ask @kazuma78 where this came from?

11. lordmarcovan

I think he said it was Frank Robinson.

12. lordmarcovan

Would anyone - especially a dealer- be willing to help me with retail appraisals on these coins? It’s not that I intend to sell them in the immediate future. I just need accurate estimates to fill in my collection database- and I’m clueless at pricing ancients.

Message me if you have the time and knowledge to assist with that. I’d be willing to pay a modest sum for your time if necessary.

masterswimmer likes this.
  13. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Rob, with all due respect, I need to ask you a question because if you're clueless at pricing ancients, then I'm like Helen Keller on that subject.

If you're not sure about pricing ancients, how do you know what's a fair price to pay when buying them? I'm certainly not in the market to sell the one I have, but if I decide to buy additional ancients, how in heavens name am I supposed to know if I'm getting ripped off or conversely, found a great deal?

Broucheion likes this.
  14. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Frank Robinson- his pictures weren't super crisp and it was more grainy than I had hoped when I got it so I had posted it for sale for about what I had in it before I sent it to Rob. It's a small coin so it didn't immediately stand out as a fake, but I also am not shocked because of the surfaces. I'll contact Frank once I have it back and try to return it- I assume he will accept a return easily. I'll send Rob something else interesting from my collection to replace it.

Curtisimo likes this.
  15. El Cazador

You are truly a great friend, Josh!

lordmarcovan and kazuma78 like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

I do know how to comparison shop, and in many cases, I’m not totally clueless, but when it comes to putting a precise number on a coin, I might as well be.

masterswimmer likes this.
  17. lordmarcovan

Indeed he is.

18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I love the one with the tongue. Wow. Beautiful. Thanks

19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Who doesn’t nice an owl.

paddyman98 and lordmarcovan like this.
  20. Cheech9712