New to ancients, now need a storage solution...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mike Willner, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

Who knew? When my son and I got started coin collecting 2 years ago we both thought, "Ancients, what's so great about them? Rusty, rude shaped little lumps. But, look at these nice shiny Peace Dollars! Ooo ahh... shiny!". Well of course, a year and a half later we are both hooked on ancients, are both reading Sear, Sayles, and prowling vCoins / Ancients Mall.

Now the question of storage. Modern US coins and most world coins seem simple.... there are Dansco (or similar) albums custom to the coin series, or at worst, there are 2 x 2s to keep them in.

Ancients don't seem happy in 2 x 2s. I don't think there are Danco type custom albums for them. Currently I store them in an Optima album (strips slide out of a page with pairs of pockets you can slide the coin into). Not 100% happy with this either... getting the coins out to play with them means sliding them out of the pocket against the plastic. And, the pockets don't seal so the coins can drop out (as has happened with some of the bigger, heavier specimens).

Would you mind sharing how you store your ancient coins? I'd like to hear how some seasoned collectors handle this. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I use the little plastic flips that you can buy at online coin supply stores, and also at your dealer if they carry them. They work the best for me, and you can put a piece of paper on the other side of the flip where the coin isn't with the attribution, along with other information on it if you would like. Make sure you get the PVC free ones however. Otherwise, your coins can get pretty messed up. =/

Phoenix :cool:

4. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

the only problem i have with the 2 x 2 flips is that the non pvc ones tend to be brittle. I like to look at my coins and eventually the flip breaks in two. this is my new system. Someone posted this a while back on one of the forums.

I put the coin in a 2 x 2 but never fold it. I put the description card in the other side and then put it into a stiff mylar baseball card protector. You can then keep them in a baseball card box.

Richard

Attached Files:

5. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

I currently use Saflips, folded, but have thought about the method you mention. I'm currently considering trays or a cabinet instead.

6. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

My same method? Do you use the thicker top loaders for memorabillia cards and such, or just the regular? I use the thicker.

Also..I am trying to find one that makes the whole flip fit in...no luck though...do you have this problem?

stainless

7. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Also Ziggy, make sure the top loaders are Ultra-Pro and not BCW if you haven't already. Ultra-Pro uses PVC free material.

stainless

8. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

The ones I have are labeled ARMORCARD. I can't find any info on them but i hope that I can find more (i don't know where i got these) as they are taller than the flips (see pic)

Richard

9. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

Does anyone use the open trays? On one hand it seems great to be able to just pick up the coin to play with it, but I am concerned about them rattling around and maybe spilling out.

I kind of like the open flip solution with an information card on one side and the coin on the other.

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I thought about trays too, but just stuck with the album

11. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

I have a tray actually, but I am currently setting it up for a yard sale so I have no coins in it. The coins moving around shouldn't be an issue unless you are moving the tray a lot. I have mine on a table made specifically (i know, spelling) for the tray that I found down stars. If you need to bring coins to a show, just buy a small coin album and leave the tray home.

One down fall....it takes a lot of trays if you have a lot of coins...my tray only holds 36 coins.

stainless

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

i was thining about something like these

Attached Files:

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

i'll post this again too, I like it alot

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted