New Roman coins (Hadrian, Constatine)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jhonn, May 22, 2006.

1. Jhonn

Jhonn Team Awesome

Here's the Hadrian I bought after finding my flying eagle cent and Indian-head cents. Hadrian is Augustus at this time, and Trajan is Caesar, it seems. I'm actually hoping to purchase a Trajan denarius next, as well as a Trajan Decimus denarius. The AE Constatine isn't in the best condition, but then again, any AE Roman coin in great condition isn't going to be that cheap!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hello Jhonn,

When Hadrian was Augustus, Trajan was dead yet, so he could not be ceasar at the same time.
    For what you write about finding a roman coin in great condition at a cheap price, you're right if it is a coin from early empire, but in the 4 th century there are good bargains at a very low price (I mean in the 20-50 USD range)

For instance the coin attached below costed only 15 euros (aprox 20 USD) a few years ago

Cucumbor

Attached Files:

4. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Great additions you have there :smile I still need to get a Hadrian but they are quite expensive over here, but i will get one eventualy LOL

De Orc :thumb:

5. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Jhonn's Hadrian denarius looks like this one on the Wildwinds Roman coin database:

Wildwinds Link

Hadrian AR Denarius, RIC 86, RSC 1155a, BMC 170

:mouth:

6. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

I decided to take new close-ups of mine..a nice Hadrian.

Attached Files:

7. Jhonn

Jhonn Team Awesome

Thanks for all the feedback. I still am not sure why the name "Trajan" is on this coin, unless it is Hadrian's full name. The Constatine, though it's hard to tell in the photo, is almost exactly like this one: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins/13046q00.jpg. I purchased it for a mere $10, too, though the Hadrian cost me a little more ($35).

8. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

I think I've got an attribution for you on the Hadrian.

Hadrian Denarius
    Minted: 121 AD
    Obverse: IMP CAESAR TRAIAN HADRIANVS AVG, laureate bust right, draped far shoulder
    Reverse: P M TR P COS III, Fortuna standing left, leaning on column, holding rudder & cornucopiae

RIC 86, RSC 1155a, Sear 3521, BMC 170

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear5/s3521.html

A little more info on Hadrian for you...
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Hadrian

EDIT: Sorry, I missed that Wille had already given the attribution. :eek:

9. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Emperor Trajan's name is on Hadrian's early coins because Trajan appointed Hadrian as his successor and Hadrian's coins reflect this fact.

My Roman Coins

:smile

10. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Also,Hadrian was Traijan's adopted son and took the family name.

11. Jhonn

Jhonn Team Awesome

Oh, those crazy Romans. I wonder if anyone here has read Suetonius' "Lives of the Twelve Caesars"? I'm reading it right now, and he gets pretty in-depth in terms of the personal lives of the first twelve, esp. Nero and Caligula. I only wish he was also able to write about the lives of the emperors AFTER the first twelve, perhaps of Trajan and Hadrian themselves (Suetonius worked for Hadrian, though I can't remember exactly what he did, aside from having major access to all the official and private documents of all the preceeding rulers and spilling all the beans about their weird habits and whatnot).

Draft saved Draft deleted