New Roman Coin Pic-Diocletian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikjo0, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

This guy is known as the worst of the persecuters of the early Christians,along with a couple of his co-emperors.
    You'd think that karma would have finally caught up with him and he'd meet a horrible gory end like most Roman emperors but in fact,he abdicated (retired) in 305 AD after 21 years on the throne and lived to a ripe old age.
    I don't run across many of his coins,this being only my second,so I bought it today.It is a full size follis (size of a Sacagewea Dollar) from the mint in Alexandria,Egypt.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Nice, looks like a dupondis.

:D
    Ben

4. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

That is one nice coin :thumb: Has the mint's Papyrus site got started yet :rolleyes:

De Orc :kewl:

5. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

Nice Diocletianus...The one main unforgivable thing this Emperor did was institute an Income Tax...MONSTER!

6. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

I assume the Alexandria mink mark is one of the symbols on the reverse fields, but which one?

7. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

It's written on the holder..the ALE under the figure of Genius on the reverse.:)

8. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

I must be really tired, I didn´t even make that association, thanks Mikjo0.:eek: :D

It´s a great coin by the way, and you do a spiffy job of filing them in the holders with descriptions. I wish I would see that sort of effort put into cataloging in just about any museum I´ve been to (and I´ve been to quite a few).

9. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

We should burn him in effigy :D and just think I have this Monster in my collection, Mrs Orc is making hissing noises at the screen as we speak LOL

De Orc :D

Draft saved Draft deleted