New Reference Books

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Fish, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Fish

Fish Half Cent Nut

When I was at EAC last week, aside from coins I picked up a number of new books.

I got a copy of Walter Breen's Encyclopedia of Early United States Cents 1793-1814. If I'd been thinking I would have grabbed Mark Borckhardt and had him sign it. Oh well, next year. I also got Bob Grellman's The Die Varieties of United States Large Cents 1840-1857 which I did think to get signed. When John gets copies in I also have a prepaid copy of The Cent Book 1816-1839 by Mr. John Wright. As I understand he's out traveling the world currently, but when he gets back he only lives 2-3 hours from me, so I could easily call him up and get that signed. That should be all the large cent references I really need.

I managed to snag a copy of American Half Cents The Little Half Sisters (2nd edition) by Roger Cohen (I have Gilbert, Breen, Coleman, and Manley on half cents, so now I only need a Cohen 1st edition to be all set on those references). Last week there was a signed copy up on eBay, but I didn't want to spend no-telling-how-much on it.

Rounding out the (mostly) copper books was a shiny new copy of Colonial and Early American Coins by Dave Bowers. I browsed a copy at a local show not long ago and it looked worth it. They were moving briskly so other people seemed to be of similar opinion. I wanted to pick up Newman on Fugios, but I ran out of checks. I'll have to fix that eventually.

Last, I snagged the only copy John had of Early United States Dimes 1796-1837 by Davis, Logan, Lovejoy, McCloskey and Subjack. I haven't even un-shrinkwrapped it yet.

The only other book I got was free to me. The Goldbergs had a special EAC-only limited-run-of-300 catalog of the Dan Holmes Collection. The public catalog will have different layout and pictures. What it won't have is Dan's signature inside the front cover. I asked if I could impose on Dan to autograph mine and he was obliging enough to do so, even though it was very difficult for him and he could only write his first name. Still, it's already one of the centerpieces of my collection.

I have too much on my plate to read any of these right now, which is unfortunate, because I'd really, REALLY like to. Still, having them at hand means that when I do have the time and the inclination all I have to do is walk into the library and grab one.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

You'ld love one of the coin shows I go to. There is this one dealer that has two tables of all books on coins.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Carl:
    Where is that?
    I'd love to go, but I am sure that it is too far.

Next time, see if he has any signed Yeoman books, pretty please?

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Thanks to Fish mentioning it, I was able to impose on Dan to sign my copy as well. I felt kind of bad asking him but he seemed very happy to do so. (His health problems makes it almost impossible for him to use his hands.)

Draft saved Draft deleted