new Redbook

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Foster dollar, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Foster dollar

Foster dollar Coinguy

I need to buy a new redbook soon I've still only got the 2006 redbook currently

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Save your money. There isn't too much which has changed in it. As far as the values, they're useless anyway, just get'em online. I buy a new RB about every 5 years of so, I think...

Take Care
    Ben

4. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I moved this thread for you---I don't think you wanted it in the Contest Forum.

Speedy

5. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

new vs old

I have found that about a 3 year old red book has prices more in line with current trends, but I usually double check with heritage or completed auctions for more accurate prices.

6. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Unless you collect the redbooks there is really no point in buying one each year

7. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

8. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

If you must have a red book you can get them at any wal-mart.

9. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I have to admit that I get more use out of the North American Coins & Prices guide put out by Krause. I like the fact that Canada and Mexico are included. I'm not exactly sure why the Redbook is considered "best."

10. KLJ

KLJ Really Smart Guy

Everyone posted so far is correct. If you're looking for an up-to-date price, the Redbook IS NOT the way to go. It's more of a research book. Long-term (i.e. years and decades) trends, as well as a handy tool to have for finding composition, weight, size, etc. of coins.

My local club is sellling 2007 Red Books for $9.

11. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Studying long term trends from old price guides is a good way to discover coins that might be undervalued compared to their peers.

12. ranchhand

ranchhand Coin Hoarder

I like the rebook spiral bound format, and the pictures in the last two editions have been a lot better then the Krause.

I like the Krause book for the Mexican coins, I have a 3 yr old one that i still use (have not seen a reason to get a new edition) and a 2005 redbook. I get a new redbook every 3 yrs or so.

For prices i use the greysheet. I get a full set once a year. I usually pick up the latest before i go to a coin show. its a lot easier working with the dealers when you are on the same "page" as them ;)

13. Foster dollar

Foster dollar Coinguy

Thankes for the advice

Michael "Foster Dollar" Foster

14. Foster dollar

Foster dollar Coinguy

thankes

Michael "Foster Dollar" Foster

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Red Books

Don't save your money, instead, start a collection of Guide Books (aka the red Book).
    They (Whitman) is even coming out with a special 1947 replica edition this December.
    Frank

16. NathansCoin

NathansCoin New Member

I get a red book about every 3 years. THe prices dont change to much from one year to another. Speaking of books i found some coin book on ebay from the 1880s. I was blown away to read how much some coins sold for back in 1885. Also to read that the 1799 silver doller was only $1.35. I bought one in 1993 for just about 350. and am seeing them sell now for well over a grand. My how times have changed.

Anhow if you feel the need to buy a price guide every years try chaging them up every years. DO the redbook one year and the black another. skip a years or two then. As for the price ranges in the redbook. ou might think this is wrong for me to say, But if you ask me there pretty much right. again thats IMO Either that or people are all sheap.

17. amcnichols

amcnichols New Member

Newbie question: Is it almost better to have the Blue Book?
    A-

18. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Walmart.com then go to books. The 2007 Red Book paperback is $9.37
    The Red Book spiral ringed is $9.14. The hard cover is $10.36
    Comparatively speaking the Whitman web site is much higher. Coin stores also sell for near Whitman prices. Many coin shows have them for a little more than Walmart.
    Millersmint.com web site had a deal that if you purchased $100 in coins they would give you a 2007 Red Book free but I think that offer expired Sept. 23.
    I collect the hard cover version and have all from 8 to present. Sure wish I could find the first 7 cheap.
    The Blue Book is almost a useless document as far as I'm concerned.

19. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Just Carl:
    There have been quite a few early Red Books available on Ebay recently, including both printings of the 1st edition.
    Some early editions have been in very superior condition and went for big dollars, including a near mint 1st edition that sold for $1,100. As long as you don't want the best you can get them at reasonable prices.
    The most important thing is to try to get editions without many marks in them, but if they are marked up they are usually cheaper. I stay away from ex-library editions.
    I agree that the blue book is useless as far as a price guide, but it is still a neat collectible, and the early editions are still very reasonable. You can get a 1st edition in very nice condition for about $100. Others are far cheaper. Compared to the prices that the red books get the blue book is very reasonable.
    Also, consider collecting signed editions and special editions. But some, like the 1987 ANA cover are very expensive. The last one that I saw sold for over $1,000, and all special editions are going up in price.
    Good luck.

20. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

yeah, I got one that was a few years old at half price books for less than 10 bucks ...I would say things havent changed that much in a few years...

21. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I keep away from ebay for buying things. There are just to many other sources of everything in the area I live. However, when it comes to older editions of the Red Book, the availibilty is somewhat nill. The reason I suspect is due to the extreme interest in coins in this area. We have at least 3 coin shows a month within 12 miles of my house, numerous flea markets with coin dealers, many coin stores and stores with coin dealers in them. I've seen many of the older Red Books around but the prices are just to far up there. I'll just stick with what I have until I find some in an estate, garage, yard sale or a used book store for a reasonable price. At one flea market last summer there was a guy selling from the 20th edition to present for $1 each so there is always hope.

Draft saved Draft deleted