New impulse buys.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by byrd740, Jun 11, 2009.

1. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

I looked at these mon for a couple weeks and told myself that I just have to have them. So of course I ordered them and just received in the mail today. The first one was minted in Edo between 1668-1700(I believe?). This is the one that I really bought the lot for. The second one is Nagasaki. The next one is Koume Mora. There is a defect in the planchet, you can see it at 1 o'clock on the reverse. And lastly an Ashio minted mon. If anyone can give anymore information about any of them it would be greatly appreciated. Also while I am on the subject, is there any good book in english about Japanese coinage(mons in particular)? This is something that I would enjoy to start collecting. Another thing before I let you to the pics, what would be good to soak these in to loosen some of the dirt? Would acetone be fine? Well thanks for looking!:D

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Acetone may change the color. Maybe mineral oil, but that may change the color as well. Hey mon, I like those mon. (sorry, couldn't help myself)

4. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

Yeah mon.:D That is what I have been wondering about. But the bottom three are so dark or green looking, I don't think they could get much worse. But I still would like to here what might work better. I haven't had too much experience with cash or mons, so I really don't know, but they sure are cool!

5. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Maybe contact Arizona Jack and see how verdigone will work?

6. Mumbapuri

Mumbapuri #16443

nice pics... like the first one the best... i wonder whether there is an easy way or a trick to id these holey whether they are from china or japan w/o looking at km or knowing the script :)
    they look similar to the 1 pice coins from india during 1940s

7. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I like them quite a lot but am always worried about buying any as I have no idea as even were to start with the id process LOL So hats off to you guy's who jump right on in :hail:

8. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

The script is very similar to Chinese, and well to most extent it is Chinese. The only way that I knew they were Japanese is I was familiar with the mint marks on the reverse..

Draft saved Draft deleted