new Heritage format

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jako lipo, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

anyone else seen the new heritage format ?

i personally hate it anyone have another opinion

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

It has some advantages in getting to a better defined end result, but it is a lot more cumbersome to get around in - particularly if you just want to change a minor point. Previously, If I wanted to search for a MS66 coin, I just put that in my search. To change to ms67, I just changed the 6 to a 7. Now, I almost have to start the entire search over again.

4. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

also the font is smaller

5. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

I absolutely HATE the new format !
    :(

6. vincent2920

vincent2920 Senior Member

It's horrible ... slow .. and a pain in the ass .. I guess they will call it progress. Anyhow , I emailed them and told them my thoughts.

7. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

As with all new formats , it'll take a while to get use to it, but that's the cost of progress :)

8. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

That's kind of how I feel. Initially, I didn't like it, but I've gotten used to it.

I just haven't yet seen any advantages, so I don't know why they changed. Sometimes folks change just for the sake of change, to give a "freshness" and perhaps an illusion of progress.

9. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

I have news on this front. At least for the short term Heritage will be running both the new system and the old system side-by-side. This is TEMPORARY though, so you should play around with the new format so that you are at least comfortable with it when the old format is no longer supported.

The key complaint that I hear about the new system is that you have to start over if you want to change some small part of your search. This isn't true, it is simply a failure to understand how to back up one step without starting over. One of the strengths of the new system is the ability to back up any one search parameter without changing all the other search parameters. As you refine a search be conscious that you can undo any search refinement by clicking on the "remove" button at the top of the page (each individual search parameter is individually removable).

Additionally, if you are looking at the ms 66's and you want to look at the 67's, just look to the left and click on the ms 67 link and it will add those to your search. If you then want to remove the 66's then go to the top of the page and click the remove button immediately following the term MS 66.

I am willing to work with anyone who has questions regarding the new system, just pm or email me. I was skeptical at first, but I have played with it a little bit (Less than 2 hrs total) and am beginning to see the strengths. I think with time I will appreciate not getting every coin dated 1894 regardless of mint of origin when I am looking for 1894 Philly dollars more than I dislike having to adjust to a new system.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I didn't like it the last time they changed. But this one, the change is not so radical. I got used to it pretty quick. Things change, that's life - we move on.

11. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

For me it just seems to be slower and more cumbersome, just my opinion.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Thanks CT. I missed those "remove" on the top. I like the results you can get with this search, but I still think that it could be so much easier if you could select from popups and say go. That way I could build a complete new search in 1 step in stead of 4 and up.

13. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

The dropdown menus are one of the old features that most people were comfortable with and we are working to add them to the new design. They will shortly be available, so that should help.

14. vincent2920

vincent2920 Senior Member

Someone needs to put some high octane in the new search engine. This thing is god-forsaken slow. I use Verizon DSL service and it takes a couple of minutes just to load up a page. The new search format may be fine ... if you have the patience.

Draft saved Draft deleted