New fugio cent, your thoughts on grade, variety and condition please.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mill rat41, Apr 16, 2009.

1. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I just picked up this fugio which was sold as Newman 18h, R-5, VF-30. The last couple of weeks I have been looking at grading standards for fugios, but haven't really found much. Are there really any standards on these like on most coins - between soft strikes and poor planchets most of these are a mess. I'm thinking the missing digits on the sun dial are due to strike and not wear? It seems the coin was made slightly off center, there is no room on the coin for the "b" in business. The coin does have some green "gunk" on the edges, is this verdigis or corrosion? I had to monkey with color on the pics a bit to make the details show, in hand the coin is 2 tone brown. Is that a die crack or a scratch running across the clock? Is this coin gradable by PCGS - they seem a little more forgiving on these than NGC? Thanks for looking, this is my first forray into copper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

You picked a great one to break the ice with! :thumb:

I'm not sure if PCGS will slab this, other than Genuine, but it has a shot. I'd rather send it to ANACS in case any problems will keep it from getting slabbed, since they will slab with Details Grading. :high5:

Speedy should add it to the CT Fugio Collection shortly. :hail:

Ribbit :)

4. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Thanks Toad. What problem(s) in particular would keep it from being graded? Can you confirm it as an N-18h?

5. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

The corrosion is the only thing I see that would keep it from getting graded and would result in a Details Grade instead but that's the kewl thing about ANACS, send it to them and it gets slabbed no matter what. :thumb: Plus, they will attribute it! ;)

I agree it's a 18-H. I checked that right off the bat or I would have said something. ;)

6. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

7. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

8. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Very nice! Fugio cents are great coins!

9. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Where have you been young man? :goof: I sent you some homework and haven't heard back from you. :secret:

10. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

:eek: I just checked my email and I gotta grab the fugio book I guess! :whistle: I will try to knock a couple out after I eat! :D :eek:hya:

11. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Well PCGS will slab it - but as genuine. Then again the pitting from corrosion does not look to bad to me. Nice fugio!!!

AND HEY TOAD - I gave you home work also. Where is my 1792 silver. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted