New ebay pick up, is it mint state?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mill rat41, Jan 30, 2009.

1. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Hi, I always wanted one of these. It was sold as brilliant uncirculated. Looks like it to me. Any estimations of grade? I'd be happy with a ms-61.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Hard to say with those pics. I'd need to see the details better to go above AU-58 but it is gorgeous! :thumb:

Ribbit :)

4. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Thanks toad, nothing like the feeling of owning a BIG hunk of gold. I'll try for some better pics tommorrow, but these were the best of 20 or so I took.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It would be hard to tell with just pictures anyway. Gold is so soft, that just the tiniest amount of wear shows on the luster and knocks it down to AU-58. You will see quite a few AU-58 gold coins, but I think unless there is a reason it has to be MS, a nice AU-58 is usually better looking than a MS60-62.

Jim

6. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Beautiful coin.

7. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Doesn't have to be mint state, just hoping. Luster looks good to me, but I am new to this. I know what you mean about a lot of the ms60-62, I looked at a lot of them at local shops in slabs. Most of them have lots of (at least in my book) distracting bag marks. Thanks for looking.

8. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

9. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Sorry, no better. I think these are the best my old camera can do.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Let's put it this way, if it's not MS it's very close. It's either AU58 or MS64.

11. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

UPDATE: The coin was sent to NGC and received a MS61. If it wasn't for a small, yet deep, scratch on the reverse; I bet it would have gone a point or two higher. Why were the pics replaced with red X's?

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Red "X"'s are your computer. Nice coin! Congratulations.

13. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I think that it is just lightly lightly circulated. I suspect there is a pinch of rub. I'd go with 58

14. diocletian

diocletian Senior Member

Nice coin Op. If you crop the photo you will lose the wasted space and enlarge the coin.

[​IMG]

15. diocletian

diocletian Senior Member

oops. Here like this.[​IMG]

16. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

Great coin , i wish i'd have one of does :(

17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Lightly circulated Liberties look better than a lot of MS Saints. Liberties are the second sister in collecting $20's, but they are more affordable and represent a better value in my opinion.

18. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

That's a nice common date liberty that I wouldn't be scared to hold in the palm of my hand and trace the outline of the relief with the tip of my finger. What goold is owning gold if you can't touch it?

Looks like a nice $1000.00 coin there.

19. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I'd love to own something like this someday. My income needs to go up, and gold needs to go down. Am I asking for too much?

20. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I pawed it all I wanted to. Once I even dropped it onto my other nice gold coin. After that I decided to send it in.

21. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Draft saved Draft deleted