New camera

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bromac4, Oct 17, 2004.

1. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

I bought this camera specifically to take pictures to post on this forum because my scanner just wasn't giving me the detail I wanted. This is my first attempt, a colourized silver version of the lucky loonie minted to commemorate this year's Olympics.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Looks like you got it figured out - nice pic ;) I look forward to seeing more of your collection.

4. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Tell us about the new camera :)

5. 9roswell

9roswell Senior Member

nice picture.what camera did you get?i scan pictures in but the problem is when you have to scale it to fit the forum.

6. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

The camera is a Nikon Coolpix 4500. When I went to the camera store the guy there told me that it was too bad but the best camera for taking pictures of coins isn't being made any more so,of couse, I went to E-bay. This is allegedly factory reconditioned.I'm sure I'll get better results as I get more used to using it.

7. Tallpaul000

Tallpaul000 Searcher

use a tripod and set your timer.

8. Ed Zak

Ed Zak New Member

Keys are tri-pod, macro setting, indirect lighting (No flash), and black blackground so no light is reflected from the immediate surrounding colors.

To have the best indirect, least expensive, diffused lighting, use a milk jug!

Cut off the top and place your coin on a black background in the jug. Shine your lights at an angle "through" the jug and the light diffuses quite nicely! Here are some nice tips.

http://www.uscents.com/articles/DCP/DCP002.htm

All and all...experiment! That's what I do.

Attached Files:

9. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

Great advice. Thanks

10. Ed Zak

Ed Zak New Member

Here's the guy who gave me the idea of the milk jug for diffused lighting:

You can buy some really expensive lighting, but try this first...if you buy a gallon of water, you are out less than 2 bucks so you can take the savings and buy more coins!

Attached Files:

11. Tallpaul000

Tallpaul000 Searcher

Angle and diffuse lighting is good. Trick for me is using the light and exposure settings to capture mint luster and surface detail. Its hard to do sometimes unless you have a very expensive set-up.

Draft saved Draft deleted