need some help

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jon67, Oct 30, 2009.

1. jon67

jon67 Loves Lincoln's

i need some help doing a coin quiz for my coin club meeting. so if you could please post some Q&A it would be a big help. Thanks in advance....Jon

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tbarreca

tbarreca Ruthless Realist

In what year was the first coin issued by the US Govt.? What was it?

4. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

uh.....which US Gov? They (US) were still in transition for a spell there.

Could we have this as a multiple guess test?

a)=Yes
    b)=No
    c)=Other

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

here is one that I made for someone else:
    1: Q: What is the most expensive (non error) Lincoln Cent?
    A: The 1909 S VDB.

2: Q: Who wrote the “Guide Book of United States Coins”? What was the first year that it was issued?
    A: R.S. Yeoman. 1947.

3: Q: What is the lowest mintage regular production coin produced in the 20th century?
    A: 1913 S Barber Quarter. (40,000)

4: Q: What is the definition of a Doubled Die? Name the (probably) most popular doubled die?
    A: A die where that had been hubbed two times and with a slight shift in one of the hubbings so that the image appears doubled. The 1955 Philadelphia Lincoln Cent.

5: Q: You have two coins that equal thirty cents. One is not a quarter. What two coins do you have?
    A: Answer: A nickel and a quarter. One was not a quarter, the other one is.

6: Q: Who designed the Buffalo nickel? Why is that name incorrect? What were the first and last years of issue?
    A: Frazier designed the nickel. Why wrong? Because it is a bison, not a buffalo. 1913 & 1938.

7: Q: What was the rumor that started about the Roosevelt dime, that was first minted in 1946?
    A: The designer’s initials were JS (For Joseph Sinnock) and the rumor was that it was an agreement with Russia to secretly put Joseph Stalin’s initials on our coinage.

8: Q: What unusual denomination coin was created during the Civil War?
    A: Trick question: In 1864 the two cent piece first appeared, and in 1865, the nickel three cent piece.

9: Q: What was the shortest lived coin series ever created by the US?
    A: The 20 cent piece. 1875 to 1878. Also, tied with the Susan B. Anthony dollar, which was issued from 1979 to 1981 and again in 1999. Both were issued for only 4 years.

10: Q: What was the first coin to have the motto “In God We Trust” on the coin? Why?
    A: The Two Cent piece, first minted in 1864. Originally it was supposed to be “God Our Trust”. It was suggested during the carnage of the Civil War to give people hope.

11: Q: What was the only illegal coin that the US mint ever minted? {That is, demonetized, declared to be not legal tender.]
    A: The US Trade $. Issued for trade with China from 1873 to 1885. Although it had more silver than the regular silver $, it was valued lower.

12: Q: What is the most valuable US coin ever sold?
    A: The 1933 $20 gold piece, sld at auction July, 2002 for $$7,950,020.

13: Q: Why is it so valuable?
    A: It is the only one (1933 Double eagle) declared to be legal to own. All other 1933 $20 gold pieces (if found) are declared to have been stolen and the property of the US Government, and subject to seizure.
    [Note: Currently there is a law suit over 20 pieces that the owners are suing the government for return.]

14: Q: How many quarters are needed to complete the States quarters set as issued by the US mint? [Hint: This does not include the additional quarters issued in 2009 for the US possessions.]
    A: You would need 200 quarters for a complete set. 50 from Philadelphia, 50 from Denver, 50 proof coins from San Francisco, and 50 silver proofs, also from San Francisco.

15: Q: Nickels issued from mid-1942 through 1945 are different from any other nickels ever issued by the US. Explain why.
    A: Due to the shortage of war materials for WWII nickel was a strategic metal. The mint used silver instead for 35% of the composition. Also acceptable: These nickels had a large mint mark over the dome of Monticello on the reverse.

16: Q: Easy one for everyone: What is the difference between a cent and a penny?
    A: A cent is a unit of currency issued by the United States. The penny is a unit issued by England.

17: Q: From 1916 to 1945 the United States issued dimes (10 cent coins) with a design that is popularly nicknamed ‘Mercury’ dimes. Why is this wrong?
    A: Mercury, a Roman god, has wings on his feet. The “Winged Liberty” dime had wings on his hat (or helmet). They are supposed to represent freedom of thought.

18: Q: The Sacagawea dollars which were first issued in 2000 are referred to as ‘golden’ dollars. Why were they call this? How much gold did they contain?
    A: They were called ‘golden dollars’ by the mint to popularize them. The reference was to their color. How much gold did they contain? Absolutely none. But, many of them have been saved by the public who believe that they contain gold.

19: Q: The Susan B. Anthony $’s were issued as a replacement for the dollar bill. First issued in 1979 to 1981 and again in 1999, why were they so unpopular?
    A: Because of their size they were frequently mistaken for a quarter and spent as a quarter. People commonly just feel for the size of their coins and do not look at them closely.

20: Q: The Ben Franklin half dollar was issued (minted) from 1948 to 1963. Normally designs are required to be used for 25 years before the design can be changed. Why did this series only last 16 years?
    A: It was replaced by act of Congress to honor John F. Kennedy after his assassination in 1963. An act of Congress is required for a design change before the 25 year minimum has passed.

Tie breaker questions:

Q:What is the only handicapped coin minted in the history of the US Mint?
    A: (The 1937 D three legged Buffalo nickel).

2nd Tie Breaker:

Who is on the obverse of the Jefferson nickel?
    A: If you said anything but Jefferson, you lose all previously earned points. ;)

3rd tie breaker: How many coin collectors are there in the US today?

Final tie breaker: Name them

6. DoK U Mint

TH ~That is a great list!

Did you get promoted out of the education system?
    *^)

oh....I just reread the entire list.

If the Bison qualifys, why not the SAC "Wounded Eagle"?

7. Treashunt

doc;
    You are welcome.

But, apparently I was not promoted, I don't understand the question.

Duh.

8. jon67

jon67 Loves Lincoln's

Wow Thanks Frank you have some awesome questions there.

9. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Good grief there Treashunt. Do you expect his club to be there for days doing that exam? AND then tie breakers as if there will be many, many completed exams. Maybe I'm a little off here but if I was in that club, I think I'd be saying about the time they passed that one out that I'll be right back and head for a bar.:rolleyes::smile
    In reality it is a great exam but not for the weak of hart either.
    I wonder if this is going to be an open book exam?????????:headbang:

10. Treashunt

Carl:
    Hey, don't shoot the messenger, I just made suggestions.

Why is the final tie breaker too tough?

11. jon67

jon67 Loves Lincoln's

we usually just read the question and call on the first person to raise their hand

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Flying eagle cent lasted only two years 1857 and 1858 (1856 was a pattern) There are arguably some others as well for example the draped bust small eagle quarter 1796 only Is a chain cent it's own series?

13. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Here's one I always liked...What is the only coin produced by the US Mint with a portrait on both sides?

I'll wait a bit before posting the answer.

14. PennyGuy

Take a look a the Lewis & Clark Exposition Gold 1$ dated 1904 and 05
    Lewis on one side with the date, and Clark on the other side. Designed by Charles E Barber.

15. DoK U Mint

Birds can't have portraits?

Some of my best old friends have been birds and I've taken portraits of them and birds are on many US mint issues.

Let me see if I can find my Eagle......

Attached Files:

16. alison3

alison3 Junior Member

My friend has a "1865 two cent penny" have you ever seen or heard of these? And what could they be worth? Thank you so much for helping:high5: !!! Alison

17. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

Welcome to the forum Alison , the coin you speak of does in fact exist but to determine it's value a grade must first be attributed to the said piece.

[​IMG]

18. alison3

alison3 Junior Member

Thank you so much for your help it's so cool here! Everyone is so nice and helpful.:hug: Thanks, Alison

19. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

How could one not be cool ,with a mustache such as mine ?

20. PennyGuy

Alison, the value of your two cent piece can run from the $10-$15 range to over $500 depending on condition. It is an interesting Civil War era coin, if you can post a picture in the Whats It Worth forum we will be able to help with a condition grade and probable value. Read this:

http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading-guide/Grading-Shield-Two-Cents.aspx

21. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

As for the portrait question - what about the Alabama State Quarter?

Draft saved Draft deleted