Need help! Strange numismatic question...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by passerby, Aug 29, 2003.

1. passerby

passerby New Member

First, my apologies because I have very little knowledge about coins and coin collecting. However, I am hoping some members here might share their expertise on the subject.

I've been trying to hunt down an obscure bit of coin information with little success. I need to know the approximate value of an Italian florin ca. lat 15th century (near perfect quality) on the American market in 1921. I've checked New York coin auction catalogs from the late 19th century and early 20th, but none of the ones I've seen seem to have Italian Renaissance florins in their listings.

Does anyone here know offhand how much this coin would have sold for in 1921? Advice on where to look in terms of resource material would also be greatly appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. laz

laz New Member

[link and spammy bits removed, this is not an open advertising forum]

Address your message directly to "Answerman" who is one of our member's, Alan Herbert,of Coin World. He has access to a large numismatic reference library and will be happy to answer your question if he can locate a answer for you. Do you have this coin,or a photo of it so that we might be better able to pin it down for you? ~ Jim

4. passerby

passerby New Member

thanks!

Thanks for the advice, Jim. This thorny question has been bothering me for a while. I've posted a request to Answerman on Errorworld's messageboard.

Once again, 'thanks'. I'll be seeing you there.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just curious passerby - but why do wish to know what it sold for in 1921 ?

Meanwhile - I'll attempt to find you an answer.

6. passerby

passerby New Member

I'm working on a fictional novel that takes place in 1921 New York, and in one chapter, such a coin is sold. The price of the coin is not an emphasis of the book, but still, since it's mentioned, I'd like to keep it as realistic as possible. It doesn't need to be an exact number. Unfortunately, what scanty information I've found at the research library doesn't even allow for an approximation: more than $100? $1000? or just the value of its weight in gold? My lack of knowledge on the subject also doesn't help much.

Thanks for replying to my post! I'm excited to hear if anyone has a better run in answering this question than I've had.

7. winpitcher

winpitcher New Member

i guess it would have been worth whatever someone would pay for it.......in italy at the time prolly 2 million lira, or 23 dollars american!

8. winpitcher

winpitcher New Member

also how can i navigate to a more recent forum say today??

Draft saved Draft deleted