Need Help?!? Rare Find?!?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coinboy95, Jan 3, 2004.

1. coinboy95

coinboy95 New Member

I am looking for some help from someone with any knowledge of old coins. I stumbled upon an old coin collection in my great grandfather's attic after he passed away a few years ago. I have done a little research on some of the coins, and if I am looking right, these are some unbelievable finds. My problem is, I don't know if they are real or if they are reprints or something, because some of them seem a little too good to be true. I will list a few to give an example:

1652 Pine Tree Schilling
    1783 Nova Constellation
    1776 New Hampshire Half Penny
    1776 Continental Dollar
    1785 Bar Cent
    1776 Massachusetts Pine Tree Cent
    1652 Willow Tree Schilling
    1786 Massachusetts Cent
    Leo The Lion
    1786-1789 Massachusetts Cent
    Gemini The Twins
    Aries The Ram
    Libra The Balance
    Taurus The Bull
    Silver Dirhem of Baghdad
    Aquarius The Water Bearer
    Pisces The Fishes
    Dilepton of Simon Nasi
    Pirate Four Bits / Two Bits
    Brasher Doubloon
    Gold Doubloon of Philip V
    Siege Coin
    Money Tree Coin
    Denarius of Augustus
    Pirate Pillar Dollar
    Lepton of Pontius Pilate

These may all be replicas, but I have no idea. If anyone can help, please feel free to contact me, or if you could refer me to someone, it would be great. Thanks, -coinboy95 :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The best way for anyone to be able to help you is for to post pics of the coins. That would be a start. Barring that - better descriptions listing obverse & reverse legends.

Some of the coins you mention are of course well known. Some of the others based on the names you provide mean nothing. They could be silver rounds or imitations.

But there is no way anyone can say they are genuine or not without seeing them. Even a picture does not permit authentication but as I said it is a start.

4. laz

laz New Member

The Astrological medals wouldn't be worth very much unless they are made out of some precious metal like Silver or Gold,in which case they would be worth melt value. The early U.S. coins don't quite seem to fit in with the atrology coins. They would be very scarce to extremely rare and worth quite a bit of money. All of the listed coins and several not on the list have been heavily reproduced over the years. You don't mention any grades,but I'd say if these coins look like they are not badly worn,they are probably copies. Most early American Copper has been extremely worn and/or has enviornmental damage from being in the ground at one time. Uncirculated specimen's of these coins would be ultra rare. I'd recommend seeing a local coin dealer or coin club and asking for first hand opinion's. A general rule of thumb,if it sounds too good to be true,it usually is. Finding this many rare coins in high grade is indeed too good to be true. ~ Jim

5. National dealer

National dealer New Member

From experience, most of the coins you mentioned are going to be modern reproductions. They are still quite interesting and make great conversation pieces.

Draft saved Draft deleted