need help identafying this coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jrking1224, Jan 26, 2006.

1. jrking1224

jrking1224 New Member

ok i got this coin from work yesterday and i was wonderin if anyone could help me id it

Front side of coin:

*date: 1966

*written from left to right going around top of coin: kwnctantinoc baclaeyc twn'eaahnwn

*pictured on front of coin: looks to be a young man facing to the left

*there also appears to be a name under the head but i cant make it out

Back side of coin:

*pictured on back of coin: two men standing with a shield between them...the shield has a cross on it and a crown on top of the shield....below the shield is the number 1

*written below the shield is: apaxmh

*written from left to right going around the top of coin: baciaeion thc'eaaaaoc

any help will be greatly appreciated

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

[​IMG] to CoinTalk jrking.

If it is about 20mm wide, just a bit smaller than a US nickle, you most likely have a copper-nickle Greek drachma, KM#89 in the Standard Catalog of World Coins, with a bust of King Constantine II on the obverse. If so, it's worth between 15¢ in well circulated condition, to $12 in brilliant uncirculated condition.

Of course the legend is in Greek letters, not the Latin letters on your computer keyboard, which is why you weren't able to exactly duplicate them in your posting. :D

4. jrking1224

jrking1224 New Member

thanks....i really didnt know what i was readin on the coin....i was goin to try and post a pic of it but i cant get my cam to work right....but im goin to get my cam fixed so i can post a pic and maybe that will confirm what coin u said it is

5. satootoko

satootoko Retired

According to a friend in Greece, the obverse reads (phonetically) "KONSTANTINOS VASILEFS TON ELLINON 1966", and translates as "Constantine King of the Greeks 1966.

Phonetically the reverse reads "VASILEION TIS ELLADOS 1 DRACHMI", and translates to "Kingdom of Greece, 1 drachma".

The Bob likes this.
  6. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Roy,the King of Greece was more correctly known as 'King of the Hellenes'.
    King Constantine II is still very active,especially in the Olympic movement.

Aidan.

7. Yoyo73

Yoyo73 New Member

Hi I'm from France, living in the Franch Alps

My father collects coins and I help him to find the origin of foreign coins. This thread helped me to find out that the coin was a 10 drachm from 1968

Thank you for the good informations ;)

Regards

8. asuphiphi

asuphiphi Active Member

I have a similar coin, the year is 1966. Instead of the number one under the shield, it says 50. is there any collector value or silver in it?

9. Joshua Rice

Joshua Rice New Member

I have a coin like that but it has a number 10 under the shield so is mine the same coin

10. Jacquelyn Redditt

Jacquelyn Redditt New Member

My coin is the same except it is 1968 and the number 10 on back. What would that be worth?

11. Jacquelyn Redditt

Jacquelyn Redditt New Member

But it's bigger then a quarter
    And has a 10 and 1968

12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted