My new Morgan...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by PersianGuy, Nov 18, 2009.

1. PersianGuy

PersianGuy my.will.is.good

Just bought this one.. had some extra fundage and after scouring a ton of auctions, thought this the best for what I wished to spend. *Free Shipping* lol As I said in another thread, I am slowly building up a higher (65+) grade Morgan collection. Thoughts and opinions are welcome!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Nice Morgan Jim. From the pics, imo, it looks like a solid 66 to me.

4. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

One of the nicer 66's I have seen... Only problem that stands out, is about 9 o clock position on the obverse, a little further out in the field, past the lips.

5. PersianGuy

Thanks Mike, I agree, definitely a solid 66, and the price was more than right (maybe that explains the instant payment requirement, he was looking for a quick sale and payment, which is a plus in my book)

tmoneyeagles.. yea I would say that is my only issue with this coin as well, at least from the pics he provided. Looks to be there in both the slab and enlarged obverse pic. I paid significantly under redbook (more than significantly actually) and shipping was included, I think I did pretty well.

6. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Yep, you can get good deals on coins graded by ICG and ANACS sometimes..just gotta know how to grade your own coins is all ;) (Which really isn't that much different than any other slab)

7. PersianGuy

Indeed... I will be (re) submitting it to PCGS , provided I am pleased with it upon arrival. Thanks to Mike (raider34) I've become a registry addict lol

8. Morgan1878

Morgan1878 For A Few Dollars More..

A very nice coin...it's a buyer's market for most Morgan's..and you've scored!

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice, but is that a struck thru on the throat?

It may prevent a PCGS crossover.

10. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

I love Morgans. Beautiful looking one, good luster. Looks like there is a big difference in value between a 65 and 66.

Morgan1878 made a comment it's a buyers market for Morgans, why is that?

11. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

For the kind of money you're spending on the collection, I would suggest staying with PCGS and NGC graded coins.

12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

As mentioned in other threads, ANACS crossovers are sometimes problematic.
    I just had two that NGC wouldn't crossover. One they said wasn't a high enough grade, the other they said was cleaned(!)

But no matter what, that's a great looking coin.

13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

An overall very nice coin.

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Thanks for sharing the really nice MS66.

15. PersianGuy

I agree with you, unfortunately I just couldn't pass this one up based upon the TPG. It looks to be a strong 66, and not just that (because grade is not my only consideration) it is also a beautifully clean white coin.

I'll take my own pics when it arrives ...

16. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice clean coin is all I will say. Very sweet indeed.

17. PersianGuy

It arrived today...

Wondering what you guys might think... if u have a sec. I've compared it to my other two 66's certified by PCGS and NGC respectively and I would be suprised if this coin did not make 66 upon submission to either.

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. PersianGuy

19. Danr

Danr Numismatist

Super nice coin. Makes me wonder why they did not go the PCGS route when submitting in the first place

20. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Very Very nice.

21. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think it is a great Morgan. I know the new ANACS often does overgrade...but this coin is a solid MS66 in my opinion. I don't think it will go any higher, but I certainly could see this coin in a MS66 holder from PCGS or NGC.

Also, this coin has a nice strike too. However, this is one of those dates that goes against the "O mint bad strike stigma." 1900-O is typically well struck.

Draft saved Draft deleted