My New $20s

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Coinlover, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

hi everyone! here are my bills i got a few days ago.

[​IMG]
    got this one for $23​

[​IMG] $22​

[​IMG]
    $26​

and those are the bills i got. the first one is really nice. the only problem is that it has a small orange stain on it. the second one is ok but a little worn. and the third my favorite is really nice but has those pesky black dots on the left near the 2. all these bills came from circulation from other people and i bought them from them. so these could have easily been shredded like all the other old styles. oh, and the yellow by jackson is just the scanner. thanks for looking! :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

You done good!

clembo's proud of you.

4. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

... and is Dag :)

nice notes!!!

5. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

6. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

7. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I'm lost. Why can these not be just spent as spare change?

Ruben

8. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

These notes have only two possibilities.

1. They remain the hands of a collector.

2. They make it back to the Federal Reserve Bank where they get shredded.

Most banks and retailers would not hand these notes out to a customer blindly, so unless there is a collector at the bank or retailer (or they have a customer that is a known collector), these notes would be destined for destruction if spent.

I personally would rather see them in the hands of a collector than in the blades of a shredder.

They are nice finds.

9. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Nice finds Coinlover...gotta love those New York notes...

And Ruben...the post by gatzdon is 1000% correct!!
    If you find em..keep em.

Regards,

RickieB

10. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

to be spent, if they reach a bank, there is a HIGH probability they would be marked to be returned to the Feds. Older notes are deemed not fit for circulation, regardless of condition! they are shredded/destroyed :(

That is a true nightmare for currency collectors. Think about how you might feel if the banks did that to coinage. Say they choose anything older then 1950. woudl you spend a 1909-VDB in the hopes of a YN finding it... knowing that if it reached a bank of a fed center, it would be taken and melted?

11. clembo

Daggarjon hit it right on the head.

As you collect coins we collect currency and coins. I know you love your Ikes.

So imagine if EVERY Ike a teller saw was destined to be desroyed. EVEN if they got a roll of long forgotten BU coins.

Thinking that would really make you cringe but yours is a very good question from a non-currency (I assume) collector.

12. Thender

Thender Senior Member

So what is the cut off date for currency to head back to the shredder?

13. clembo

Anything higher than $2 denomination that is of the "old style" (pre 1996 basically) is a gonner.

14. Thender

Thender Senior Member

Really? Being in the retail business as a business owner I see a lot of twenties come through the shop... Maybe I'd better keep my eye out....

15. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

PLEASE Thender .. IF you see any older notes PLEASE save them :) if you dont collect currency, or cant afford to keep them (we all get to that point at times) post a thread or PM me or anyone else interested. I know i dont turn down many :)

anythign is better then watching them old notes die so horribly!

16. ikes4ever

ikes4ever Senior Member

IKES to the smelter Yikes!!!
    I am always intrested in old bills too Thender

17. Thender

Thender Senior Member

I just had no idea... Only notes I have latched onto were any $2 bills that came my way.... Like I said, I'll pay attention from now on...

Guess I ought to pull out the money bag from the brief case and go through the paper... :eat:

18. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Wow, nice notes coinlover! Definetly keepers! :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

19. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

thanks everyone for the coments! :hail:

20. clembo

You might also consider getting a decent book on the subject. You would be VERY surprised at what still floats around in currency because people don't know anything aboug it.
    I have personally found singles that list at over $80. Not bad for a buck.

21. luc87

luc87 Lmcoins

Awesome dude Eh!:thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted