My First VAM find -- 1897 6A -- Now What?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by sf340flier, Sep 4, 2006.

1. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

Well, as I have been looking (and re-looking) over all my Morgans since I bought the VAM Encyclopedia, I ran across this 1897 VAM 6A. I literally bought this out of a guy's van at an estate auction (of course, at the time, I didn't know it was a VAM). My wife thought I was nuts.

First, would any VAM expert mind confirming I actually have a 6A?

Second, I was wondering about an overall grade and would like opinions?

Finally, I'd like to get this certified (just because it's my first VAM) and would like to submit to PCGS. Does the rim nick on the reverse BB this? I think this might have been a little over-dipped too, any comments? If not PCGS, who else would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

not sure about the VAM number, but I believe your coin would grade an au-58 or possibly a 62/3 (I'm leaning towards 58, but would need to see it in hand)

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

I think the cleaning has more chance of resulting in a BB than the rim nick, which would most likely only affect the final grade. But then, I don't know all that much about Morgans or their grading. ;)

5. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

Looks like a 6A to me. PCGS only does a limited number of VAMs. The 1897-P 6A is on their list because it's a Top 100 coin. Complete list here.

Here are some additional photos and comments on the 97-P 6A. The images match your coin. The info is on the new VAMworld site.

6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Nice find!!!....
    I agree with Zane for a grade of AU--I would say AU55.
    I don't see what Roy see's as for the cleaning....I wouldn't doubt that it has been dipped but I think a grading company would still grade it.

Speedy

7. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

Thanks everyone for the info. I will let you all know the results of my submission.

8. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

Here is some sale history for slabbed 1897-P VAM 6A's....
    PCGS MS64 $158 4/2006
    PCGS MS64 $97 2/2006
    ANACS MS63 $60 3/2006
    PCGS MS62 $88 2/2006
    ANACS MS62 $35 4/2006
    ANACS AU58 $39 4/2006
    PCGS MS64 $168 1/2006
    NGC MS64 $93 11/2005
    ANACS MS61 $31 1/2006
    ANACS MS63 $66 10/2005

9. bzcollektor

bzcollektor SSDC Life Member

Hey Nesvt

Long time.....

Member I had 2nd known "beauty mark" Vam that you submitted to Leroy.........

10. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

Hey bzcollektor! Oh yeah, the 1879-S VAM 48A. I think you still have the highest grade.

11. bzcollektor

bzcollektor SSDC Life Member

Yeah, nesvt!

1879-S VAM48A "Beauty Mark"

It is not like a go nuts varierty, although I think it is a significant one. Funny thing is I owned this as a common NGC MS64 for 2 years before you submitted it to Leroy. I only looked at the several 1879-S that I owned after you brought your discovery to light. This was the second of two known new VAMS I have amongst the the bunch of 70-80 so-called "common" NGC and PCGS MS64`s I own. My bad for not looking as closly as you... and the other submitter of a new VAM that I have.....

12. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

I recently read a note on another forum about this VAM. The poster mentioned the "beauty mark" 79-S variety as one to be on the lookout for. Not many are turning up. You have the nicest grade.

13. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

Finally sent this coin in to PCGS

and it got BB'd for cleaning. Personally, I don't see it, but whatever. Still a cool VAM!

14. satootoko

satootoko Retired

To me the most obvious signs were on the borders of the fields and the legends/devices.

Look particularly at "TES" in STATES, the entire "IN GOD WE TRUST" motto, Liberty's chin, and the third star to the left of the date, among other places.

15. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

You know, this an an excellent learning coin for me (albeit at $32+). I always look for hairlines, but I missed the discoloration you pointed out. The funny thing is, in hand, it's not so bad; but with the camera, it is a lot more obvious.

16. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Darn. Still, it looks pretty nice to me. Shame they wouldn't grade it though.

Phoenix :cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted