My First Rome Issue (Constantius II)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bonedigger, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

It still looks sweet bone

4. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

nice find Bonester,
    It is difficult to get Byzantine coins that are actually minted in Rome.As you probably know,most of the coinage comes from places surrounding and East of Constantinople,where the emperors lived.There was more than a little bit of animosity between the two centers of power as one rose to dominance and the other petered out.
    I don't think I even have an RP mintmark.The R is for Rome and the P is for Primus,or the #1 workshop.Keep up the project.

5. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

This isn't a Byzantine coin.

Mikjo0,this is actually a Roman coin,not a Byzantine coin.I'm not sure when the first actual Byzantine coins were struck or where.I know that Byzantine coins are not usually inscribed in Latin,but Greek,even though the Byzantine Empire borrowed the Roman style for its early coinages.

Aidan.

6. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Aidan,this coin was struck by one of Constantine the Great's sons, after Constantinople had become the seat of the empire,therefore Byzantine.Anything after 330 AD is Byzantine.I think where the confusion comes from is the fact that ALL coins struck in Rome,Constantinople and most western European cities (including London) were inscribed in pure Latin while the provincial coins from most other mints in the east and Balkans were often struck in Greek or half and half.
    Here is a good timeline:
    http://www.metmuseum.org/explore/Byzantium/time.html

7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hello,

I think you are both right, but technically speaking, Byzantine coins took place later in history, starting in 518 with Justin I (scholars have different dates for the begining of the Byzantine empire, but, as far as I know, none of them let it start before the fall of the western empire in AD 476)

Cucumbor

8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I like it Ben :bow: :bow: and I dont have one (yet LOL)

De Orc :kewl:

9. Cucumbor

Hello,
    If I may "show off", here is mine, but from Alexandria..

Attached Files:

10. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Such a beautiful coin. Thanks for posting it :D

B

11. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Have to agree that is lovely, thanks for sharing it with us :hug:

De Orc :D

12. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Bon Jour,Cucumbor,that is a very nice coin from Roman Egypt.

Have you ever thought of building your own website to display photos of your coins online along with some information about them?

Aidan.

13. Cucumbor

Hello
    Thank you all for your kind appreciations.

Aidan,
    No, never considered building a website : probably a lot of work to do, a bit lazy, and lot of work "at work"
    But I can show some pics when required

Cucumbor

14. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

That's as close to perfect as you'll ever see in a Roman coin..thanks Cucumbor!

Draft saved Draft deleted