My first Darkside purchase...whaddya think?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Prethen, May 24, 2005.

1. Prethen

Prethen Senior Member

I know it's only Canadian (that's almost like U.S.....sorry Canadian's, I'm just kidding). Okay, technically it's not my first bit of darkside material; I purchased a "complete" set (96 coin - 12 country) of Euros and I owned a Pillar dollar at one time. But, I have a "junky" little darkside collection sitting in 2X2's in plastic album pages. I vowed never to buy any of the coins but just get them from the pocket change left over from friends' and family's trips. When I saw this coin within a gentleman's collection at our coin club that he was trying to sell, I couldn't pass it up. It was the only coin that had a 100% natural look to it, no visible problems, and it seemed like an overall great value.

I think the coin was originally undergraded at VG. I think it's a F12. What do you guys think about my newest addition to my darkside family?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I like it. A nice circulated silver coin with my favorite king (on coins, anyway). A nice design, in a nice metal, in nice circulated condition.

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

A very nice example of the greyside.

Your grading has the benefit of having the coin in hand, not just a picture, so you may very well be right about the F.

5. Tbirde

Tbirde Senior Member

With a mintage of only 265,889 how could you go wrong?

6. Krasnaya Vityaz

Krasnaya Vityaz Always Right

Nice piece, and a bit undergraded in my opin, I thought that by looking at the coin and seeing what they graded it on the flip, before noticing you thought it was undergraded.

I like the grader though, perhaps he would like to work for my coin dealer in town?

7. rick

rick Coin Collector

is that the scan, or is it wear, or am I seeing a weak strike on the T, on the reverse? If it's wear, it's pretty selective, because it doesn't run up to the 0 or the top of the A or D. That's pretty neat.

That is a nice Canadian piece. I have one like it, but there is more wear on the reverse.

8. Prethen

Prethen Senior Member

I agree with your observation that the "T" does appear a bit weaker than the rest. Actually, that whole area of the coin appears to be weakly struck. I doubt normal wear would cause that. I think the bottom center of the king's crown is a high point that's probably not struck up very much because that's the first area to get worn off.

Any idea of what the coin is worth?

9. rick

rick Coin Collector

sure... 50 cents, canadian... so, say, about 44 cents US.

hehe

I don't have my krause book, but I think that is a more desirable date in the series.

10. bohica

bohica Senior Member

OMG....it's here too!;)

I'll give you a VG10 and an A+ for persistence.

Canadian Coin News Trends list it at $11CDN in VG and $35CDN in F.

11. Prethen

Prethen Senior Member

I think I can agree with VG10 for technical grading and perhaps F12 for market grading (due to strike and originality). I know I spread this post around, but different people frequent different boards and it's quite rare I wish to share the joy of an off-track (for me) purchase such as this. Thanks for the A+, though! :)

12. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Use the Force, Luke

Well, speaking of families... You know, you could get a German coin with Wilhelm II and a Russian coin with Nicholas II and with this one you would have a pretty good start on a family. I wonder how difficult that would be, to have the Cousins of Grandmother Victoria as a display set. Also, I do not know all of the intermarriages, etc., but is it not true that the king of Bulgaria came from Bavaria and the king of Greece came from Denmark. You could do a lot with this "family of darksiders."

Michael
    Jedi Numismatist

13. rick

rick Coin Collector

I knew it... Mike is a Sith!

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you think that's bad Rick you should go back even a few years further. It is said that from about 1700 all of the royal houses of Europe are descended from Louis XIV of France. At one point Louis even managed to have his grandson crowned as the King of Spain, Phillip V.

15. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

Comparing it with the pictures in my grading guide I would agree with your F-12. It is also better than the one I have. I'm not sure I would agree that it's "only" Canadian.My chauvanism showing.

Bill

16. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Prussian coin.

To get a coin that depicts Kaiser Wilhelm II,it is a coin from Prussia (2 Mark to 20 Mark) that you'd have to get.To get a Czarist Russian coin depicting Czar Nicholas II,it would have to be a coin from the 25 Kopecks upwards.

Aidan.

Draft saved Draft deleted