My first Capped Bust Half Please Grade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rhoggman, Jul 17, 2008.

1. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

I think this is a 1834 O-104 (R2), but I am not qualified to make this determination. This is a graded coin. I happen to think the grade may be a little low. Once again I am not an expert in Bust Coinage, but I feel it could be a AU55.

I have decided I really like bust coinage, and this is my first Capped Bust Half Dollar.

Paid $275 for this coin. I think for a type coin it is appealing. Nothing exceptional, or special about the date.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

4. Leadfoot

p.s. I would suspect if the coin was graded lower than AU 55, then it was silently net graded for an old dipping/cleaning and the resulting lack of luster.

5. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

sweeeeeeeeet, drool drool

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Beautiful type coin , AU-58 , looks like a little wear in her hair , could be wrong though , nice coin fof the money , hate to tell you what I paid for a PCGS AU-53 same year as yours Large date small letters , yours is better .
    rzage

7. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

I'll have to wait to get this in my hands, but it looks like the luster may be present under the toning???

Either way I am pretty happy with the price. This may be a cracker coin. It was graded AU53 by DGS...

8. rzage

Is there any luster remainig , can't tell by the pictures .
    rzage

9. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

What did you pay???? Much less I'm sure.

10. Leadfoot

DLRC scans do a terrible job at portraying luster, so I hope you're right. Please update us when it arrives!

11. rzage

Try more ,
    rzage

12. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

She's a beauty easily in 58ish condition...

13. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

This is the third time in two months that they have lowered the reserve on items I was bidding on. I was the only bidder on this particular coin, and I recieved an email yesterday the the reserve was lowered.

Not too long ago I bid 300 each on 1927 & 1929 Quarter Eagles, both NGC MS62. I won them both for 300 each. PCGS $ NGC price guides are both above $500 on those coins.

I have been getting some good deals on DLRC. Apparently there just doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm for certain things. I checked out many 1834 CBH before I bid on this one, and I thought it looked nice for the grade. Being that it was a 53, $275 was all I wanted to pay + %15 BP.
    AU 50 Greysheet is $280.

Not too bad even if it is just a 53.

14. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

Anybody know if the die variety I mentioned there is correct?

15. rzage

Good deal my friend .
    rzage

16. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice coin. I am sure bonedigger can confirm the attribution today. My book is at home.

17. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

18. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

Finally got this in, and I am now confident it is a O-104 (R2). The die clump below the T and the E is very evident.

There is much more luster on this coin than is present in the photo.

Very happy with the purchase, and think it was a great first CBH.

After having read up some at the coinzip site, I think this could be an excellent series to get to know. It is so interesting the depth at which you can collect these things, and for the price it is actually doable. I am excited to find my next peice, although I am a bargain guy so it could be a while before I get another goo deal like this.

19. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Nice Coin. What a great way to start your first capped bust collection.

20. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Yep - it was a very nice start. Now all he needs is 99 more varieties to go for the Bust half nut club. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted