My first ancient

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Paddy54, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

4. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Beautiful!

stainless

5. Paddy54

Ancient Greek Mamertini Sicily 220-00BC Pentonkion Coin I have been collecting coins for over 50 some years now . I saw this coin and just had to have it!

any idea to what it's worth ???? No matter as I saw it loved it and purchased it....now can't wait to hold it! 27 mm size, 10.1 grams Love the green patina... of course I'm irish.... it's easy to be Green! Kermit the frog! Ribbit

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

That coin is a winner!! :) Congrats on a great pick up!!

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The Mamertini were mercenaries who destroyed the city of Messana about 288 BC and ruled it in their own name until the Romans took the area. Pentonkion is the denomination (penta=5) which is indicated by the large Pi right of the soldier but only half clear on this coin. It is a worthy example but I have no idea what a fair price would be. Certainly over $100.

Take it to the Baltimore coin show at the convention center March 5-6 and see what dealers say it is worth.

9. Paddy54

Then I'm a happy camper:D as I got a great coin at a great price with a great history to boot! Thanks for the data on my find! Regards Paddy

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Actually there are rather few coins with better history. Considering the pirates and Punic War connections, this is quite a coin for a 'first' ancient. I'll be interested to see what you get next.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamertines

11. JimboJim

JimboJim Junior Member

Very nice coin. I like the overall look of it.

12. Paddy54

I like the Greek OWL coin....if I can find a nice one maybe at the balto. show I met a guy about two years ago there who was selling ancients.
    I just like the look of this coin and the owl.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

In the past, I have seen a dealer at Baltimore just inside the front entrance with a bag of several hundred Owl tetradrachms (you pick at one price) and suspect there will be examples of the coin available at half of the ancient dealers. Owls are common (just not cheap due to high demand).

14. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I love that coin.

15. Paddy54

Thats the guy yes a table just inside the door I believe he's a MD. as my wife and i talked to him and his wife a nurse they met at the hospital. Sadly to say after her hubby passed. Yes I do recall. Gee I'm not as old as I feel !:rolling:

16. davemac

davemac dave

:thumb:
    For your first you have landed on your feet with this one. Congrats. Dave

17. Paddy54

084-INDALO- GELLIA. AR Denarius 138 BC

[​IMG][​IMG]:hail: Oh No! I got a monkey on my back ...another purchase.....#2 Ancient

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

So tell us: Of the thousands of coins out there what was it that made this one special to you?

19. Paddy54

Well it looked like a merc. dime with the wing helmut. The horses on the rev. ...it's silver and had scrip on it. Also it was minted B.C. All of the above made it a good choice for me and it also looked to be in VF or better condition.

20. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

First Coin: It is interesting, obverse kinda so so, reverse, me likey lots...

Second Coin: LOVE IT!

21. Paddy54

Thanks T Money... I got to stop now this could get habbit forming.

Draft saved Draft deleted